2013 is coming to a close and i'm ok with it. i'm ready for a new year. to leave some things in the past and to have a fresh start. to become bigger and better and smaller all at the same time. [smaller body wise. ha] there were some amazing things that happened this year - henry, for example, has been an absolute thrill. but there have also been some life changing, devastating things - which i won't go into detail about, cause if you don't know, you don't need to know, and if you do know, you know exactly what i am talking about.
one thing that has - as cheesy as this sounds - gotten me through this year is project life by becky higgins. i got to meet becky this fall in downtown salt lake city & when i started talking to her, i burst into tears. it meant so much to me. i felt like such a nerd & probably scared the crap out of her. my mom was with me when i met her & as we walked away, i told her how embarrassed i was. i mean, i snorted and did the ugly cry at her. my mom pointed out that it has been a tough year for me & project life has gotten me through it. it has been my escape from stress. it has been my happy place.
i have been doing project life since mikey was born. his baby book and henry's baby book were project life kits. [mikey was cherry edition, henry's book is baby edition for him. paper kits, not digital.] it is a lot of work, but worth it. i cherish these books. my boys can have them when i am good and dead, i joke. only i might not be joking. a picture a day for their first lives - priceless. i did a family book in 2012, using the clementine on shutterfly approach, which is digital. i had never done digital scrapbooking before [note, i am not a scrapbooker, i am a project lifer. i was just being clear here.] and it was easy. i liked it a lot. in 2013, i have used digital pages by another designer, because i was doing henry's book and i wanted a simpler approach -- only because i couldn't keep up with 2 daily pictures. but i wanted a family book for "big events." i have loved it. i much prefer becky's stuff and am greatly looking forward to 2014's book.
in 2014, i'm going digital. i have 2 weeks to finish up of henry's book and then it'll just be our family book for the year. i am going to do a two page spread for each week. on the left side, i am going to use the capture app on my phone for daily pictures. i will be using the midnight kit and the design F layout. on the right side, i will be doing "events" from every week. birthdays, field trips, art projects, whatever i please. i will use any and every kit from becky that i want - and believe me, this year i have bought way too many, so my selection is grand and any layout i want, too. i am super excited about this. it is going to give me lots of options and lots of freedom.
the thing is though, project life doesn't just have to be a daily family album. here is a list of some of the other project life albums i've done this year. seriously, i went buck wild. don't judge.
- a 9 year journal of my teaching years. i did a mini album using the childhood mayfield kit. this is kinda what got me started in mini albums and other things. i love it. paper kit, not digital.
- a mini album about my parent's house, a stories of home album before they were called that, as they were leaving chicago and their home of 40ish years. this is what we would call a tray-sure. i used the seafoam kit.
- a stories of home album about my house. it is a cracker box but it is where i bought a house as a 25 year old, independent woman, we lived as newlyweds, and brought home two babies. i never want to forget it. another mini album using the flea market mini kit.
- a childhood album using pictures from my parents' supply. my dad has always been a photographer, so we have a well documented childhood. my incredibly generous sister took all of their photos and had them scanned and shared. so we now all have all of the pictures of our childhood digitally. you should be jealous. this is beyond amazing. i used a full size album for this and many page protectors, and the olive edition. paper kit, not digital. another tray-sure.
- a friend got married. i did a mini album of her wedding pictures for her. i used the midnight kit.
- my sister is a quilter. i did a photo journal of all of her quilts for her. i used a mini album and the kraft kit.
- "a day in the life" mini album. where we documented the snot out of a day in may. we took over 400 pictures of a saturday. it was a jam packed saturday, too. so much fun. i used a mini album and the kraft kit.
- my dad worked for united airlines for 46+ years. he retired in 2012. i made an album for him, documenting his world travels, his career experiences, and much more. i left the journaling for him to do. he still hasn't done that part yet, but i will make him in 2014. and i know he cherishes the book. it is cool. we did a full size album and used the vintage travel kit. paper kit, not digital.
- i did a "garrett and hayley before the kids" book. i want my kids to someday be able to look back and realize that their parents were madly in love before they came along. ha. mini album using midnight and olive, mostly olive. just a few midnight highlights.
- i have started and continue to work on a quote and art book by mikey. at age 2, he started saying some real zingers. they need to be documented. i love this book. full size album, using the jade kit.
- i am also doing a december mini album using the merry and bright kit.
- i also have plans to start a personal weight loss journal for 2014. i won't be sharing this book with many. i will include before/after pictures. journaling, goals, all kinds of stuff. i just want to have some way to document this journey. cause i know project life gets me moving. and i really want to make a push for a healthier hayley. i've got less than a week to get my plans finalized here. it'll be a mini album. i'm using the slate edition for this.
so as you see, this doesn't just have to be a daily book. there are so many choices. i love so many of them. i have bought mostly digital, but some of the actual kits, as noted above. i have bought from amazon, michaels, hobby lobby, and the digital project life website.
geez. i was going to link up all of the kits and websites. but it is late and i decided not to. [ha. late = 8:45 tonight. i'm still recovering from having strep this week. eek!] you can look them up on project digital life.
i will also continue to use my other blog to keep updates for our project life. i'm not exactly sure how i'll share this year. maybe just the capture pictures, daily. maybe more. maybe less. maybe i'll just share the weekly two page spread. i don't know. we'll see. i've got to figure that out still.