1.06.2011

why twice?

have you ever noticed that when you learn a little vocabulary - all of a sudden - you hear it all of the time?

when garrett and i were dating, he said, "duly noted" a couple of times. it always threw me off. i always felt like a complete jackass. one time, before i could stop myself, i said, "why twice?"

my then boyfriend is a smart person. he's usually very gentle with me when i prove myself to be developmentally stumped much beyond grade 2. [hence the reason i was a fabulous 2nd grade teacher... yes, i keep telling myself that...] it is not every day that he comes across a moron, but he does frequently encounter people who are less than him intelligent wise. and like i said, most of the time, he handles it very well. 

but this time... when i said, "why twice?" he smirked. i knew it. i'd shown too much. i think if he wouldn't have been busy falling madly in love with me, he would've ripped me a new one. but he forgave.

he had to explain what duly means to me. and i wish i could say that it was the one and only time. it hasn't been. see, sometimes, i have a little glitch. if something doesn't make sense to me the first time, often, it never really sticks. that's how i feel about duly. i think i know what it means now. i know how to use it in conversation contextually correct. but i'm not quite sure exactly what it means. 

but i hear "duly noted" ALL of the time now. and we always look at each other and smile... 

this week, garrett taught me what proprietary means. that one stuck, i get it. and since we've talked about it, we've heard it used in tv shows no less than 3 times. no exaggeration. duly might not have stuck, but proprietary has. yay for me. my brain hasn't turned to complete mush.

5 comments:

Katey said...

Garrett is pretty smart, it's true! I have a hard time with words I don't know. I hear them a lot in grad school so I look them up right away so I don't feel or look stupid. Thank you smartphone for that ability!

garrett said...

Even Sheldon Cooper said it tonight! :) I just love you.

Sarah Young said...

Okay, you are either not a moron or I am too because I have heard that phrase before but never really paid attention to it. I just had to google the meaning since you left me hangin' without the answer as to why your answer was so smirkably dumb! ;)

I think twice isn't an outrageous assumption, even if incorrect! Dually trucks - two wheels so why not duly or dually noted - twice noted?! I got your back Hayley! ;)

Suzie said...

you guys kill me.

tiburon said...

Love me some Garrett. And it is handy to be married to a dictionary.

If only you could date a thesaurus on the side...