1.21.2011

who is this?

last week, i was looking thru my contact list in my phone & had to scroll down like 5 names to get to the number that i needed. and as i was scrolling, i thought to myself "when was the last time i called/texted these people?" so i did a little clean up. it wasn't mean or vindictive. it wasn't a punishment. it just was a clean up. and went about my life thinking that it would never catch up to me.

i realize that blogging is pretty narcissistic, but i don't blog for popularity. i get a little creeped out when i think about people that i don't know reading my blog. it feels like an invasion of privacy. and yet, i read blogs that the author doesn't know i do... whole 'nother story. back to the point: yes, i share intimate details of my life for the whole world wide web to read. but i can do it because really, who cares? i mean, my life isn't so special that i deem myself worthy of that many people reading it. [plus, i'm sure most people are sick by now of hearing about how much i adore my husband and son.] 

so today when i got a text referencing at least 2 of my recent blog posts i got a little panicked. my eyes got big as i stared at my phone. i had a high screechy voice in my head yell, "who the hell is texting me? how do they have my number and why do they read my blog?" i stared at my phone for a minute. not sure what to do. finally, i just toughed it and responded "who is this?"

it was natalie. one of my ol' favorite blogging buddies. and she gave me crap about not making the latest contacts cut. and so i wrote back and explained that i've probably never done it before and OF COURSE the one time that i do, it bites me in the butt [yeah, that's totally the word i used, mom] and that i was sorry. she said she was hurt, but i'm hoping that she was just giving me crap.

my apologizes to anyone else out there who i offend in the future. i cut a lot of people out. not because i don't like you, i was just having one of those moments where i thought, "seriously, hayley - you have them in your phone and they probably don't even know you exist." guess thats the dork in high school complex rearing its ugly head again.  

did i ever tell you about the time at ricks when the hottest guy in my ball room dance class asked me out on a date during a dance & i said no, cause i thought he was making fun of me. we didn't talk for a few weeks, cause i was seriously offended. he finally had the cahoones to sit by me as i waited for my roomates for devotional and talk. he asked me out again and this time i was just mad enough to say, "what is this? some sort of dork out reach program?" and he gave me a look like what is wrong with you? and he said, "no, i'm seriously asking you out. are you going to give me another phony excuse like you did last time?" we dated for the rest of that semester and the next one. he didn't want me to go to hawaii. but i'm glad i did. cause garrett is way hotter. 

something is wrong with me.

12 comments:

Holly O. said...

hahahaha! Poor Natalie.

Aimee said...

Ha! This one made me laugh. :) I've had a few strangers ask to be friends on FB lately... they find me through the blog. I've agreed, but then I block their feeds. I don't want to be rude, but I don't want to know how many cows they're buying for their FB farm either.
I don't know you IRL, but we almost met in Chicago... that one time... :) I enjoy your blog b/c I find you hysterical. (And it doesn't hurt that your kid is pretty cute.)

100 Percent Cottam said...

i am still crying about it. ;) i was actually just giving you crap. sorry i freaked you out, though. that's what you get for cutting me out of your life.

100 Percent Cottam said...

oh, and true story, i almost did say "this is natalie" because it was certainly plausible that you didn't have my # in your phone. i had saved yours when you were out in texas YEARS ago...and i wasn't totally sure you would have my # in your phone. but because you 1)hadn't saved it or 2)had gotten a new phone since then...it was like FIVE years ago. not because i was maliciously deleted! ;)

Sarah Young said...

Haha, I did the same thing with a guy in the 9th grade. I had been told that all the upperclassmen wanted to trick the freshman or stuff them in a locker or something. So when a realy cute junior asked me for my phone number, I huffily said no, gave him a dirty look and stomped away. I thought he was being mean. He wasn't. I ended up looked like a major you-know-what!

Hayley said...

well, natalie, if it makes you feel any better - you've always been in my phone. until about a week ago. and now you are again. never to be deleted. i learn lessons, you see.

Sarah Young said...

All, I have to say is wow, I should proof-read. I look like an airhead...not to mention I just said 'really cute' in that post. What's wrong with me! ;)

caron said...

can I vote on this post? Because I love it. :)

Heather B said...

Funny that you posted this, because I have some old funny texts that I haven't deleted. Sometimes I read them, just for shits and giggles. Included in that list is one from you that says, "Is this Heather? It's me Hayley." I don't know if you were trying to channel Judy Blume or not, but all I can think of when I read that text is "Are you there God? It's me Margaret."

Okay, actually that wasn't as funny written out as it has been in my head.

Or maybe there's something wrong with me.

And sorry Hayley's mom, I meant "poops and giggles."

Jori said...

I dig you. I love you said no to that date! I just had one of my good friends just ask me who I was on a text. Maybe we aren't as big of bff's as I thought.

PS-Next time you go hog wild over a book I am going to read it IMMEDIATELY. I kept giggling out loud all through The Help. Minny and Aibileen crack.me.up. I got teary too. It is just the greatest book.

MN said...

That ballroom dance guy was awfully cute...

But I am glad you ended up with Garrett.

Katey said...

I'm with Caron on voting. I love this post so much!!! :-)