1.31.2011

eczema advice?

so, no one could see his scratch in my last post. the day of the scratch [it happened at lunchtime] was bad, very noticeable, and the only picture i got of it was an awful picture. by the next day, i guess only a trained eye could see it. so today, i made sure to get some blatant picture editing done for you to be able to see what i'm talking about.  just so you know.

this is my adorable baby boy. today, i was trying to take his picture of the day and capture a picture showing his very large eczema blotch on his right cheek. but he just wouldn't look away from me. so i got these pictures... darn cute, if you ask me. in the end, i didn't use a blotchy picture, cause the picture i used just melted my heart too much.
 
 
oh dear. this is why he gets me to hold him all day today. and because of my guilt from barely being able to hold him last week - since my back is feeling a little better, though not 100%. he is just so cute, i can't resist when i can actually pick him up.

garrett has eczema. and mikey was fortunate to inherit many of his dad's adorable looks, but he also got his sensitive skin. now, mikey doesn't seem to be bugged by it yet - he doesn't scratch or seem fussy... but when little patches are developing [it seems to be getting worse in the last 2 weeks] they start off by looking like a little rash. in the last few days, i've noticed that they seem to be developing all over his body. he's had this cheek blotch for a while, but it definitely seems to be worse right now. 
 
if you can't see this blotch, you're blind. :)
it has me in a tizzy. i don't know why... maybe because i've had rashes before and they bug me. it looks like mikey has a rash, so i freak for him. maybe i'm worrying too much about it. probably. but with his head worries... maybe i'm just being a worry wart mom. i hate that his skin isn't perfect and soft. i want to make it better. yesterday. 

i was looking in my baby 411 & they suggested some tips for eczema. so, we've switched out the good smelling johnson and johnson's baby lotion... for cetaphil soap and eucerin lotion. they also suggested that aveeno baths [oatmeal] could help. they've helped my rashes in the past. 

what else can i do? please share tips, tricks or secrets that you do/know... [and holly, i have lavender. we've done that but need to be better about it. fyi]

13 comments:

Aimee said...

Connor has my sensitive skin and was prone to eczema breakouts his first year and chapping around his mouth his second year til now. I swear by Aveeno baby products - we used to use this: http://www.aveeno.com/baby-care/soothing-relief-moisture-cream on his face nightly, after his bath, and again in the morning if he needed it. I just noticed tonight that they have a new cream out: http://www.aveeno.com/products/eczema-therapy specifically for eczema, which I'll try the next time he has a breakout. For chapping and even some severe eczema spots, I've also put Aquaphor on them: http://www.eucerinus.com/products/hb_aho.html Good luck! It's always worse in the winter.

Hayley said...

thanks, Aimee - I've seen that Aveeno eczema cream, I think I'll get some next time I'm at the store.

I've done aquaphor, hydrocorizone, even neosporin, too... they all seem to do ok, nothing fantastic in healing anything fast.

Sarah said...

My Jordan (now 17) has had severe eczema since she was a week babe. We see the top pediatric dermatologist at Texas Children's hospital, who strongly recommends Aquaphor or good old fashioned Vaseline as often as possible (especially right after bath). We've tried everything (from Aveeno to Eucerin to $200/tube prescription ointments) and the vaseline/aquaphor really is the best. She also uses Vaseline Intensive Care Lotions when she doesn't want the greasy feel. For babies you need to moisturize up to six times a day. It's tiring!!

Katey said...

I know I might sound like a crazy homeopathic weirdo but sometimes the cream stuff they have, works wonders. I use stuff on my hands in the winter and it pales in comparison to any OTC that I have ever purchased. So who knows. One that is commonly used for eczema is Psoriaflora. You could look into it. It might be worth a shot.

Holly O. said...

I was going to say Aquafor, but everyone else already has. Poor little Mikey.

Tiffanie said...

carter has eczema too, poor boy gets it bad on his legs and arms. the cetaphil burns and makes it worse for him. the best thing we have found so far are the aveeno lotions. any of them work great. we are also very careful about soap for him (he does well with dove, the johnson and johnson stuff made it worse) and we only use tide detergent for his clothes and blankets. (other detergents make him break out)
Good luck!

Mom said...

I was going to suggest some of the new sensitive skin laundry detergents. Use it on all his blankets and clothes.

Hayley said...

we use the kirkland brand free and clear - no dyes or perfumes. we've been using that since before he was born, because of garrett.

TheFirstWard said...

For my eczema, our kids when they were home, it was Dove and Tide, or we would break out.

I wish I could just kiss that little cheek and make it better!

Christy said...

Emily had that too. It seemed like nothing made it go away. So I stopped trying to make it go away. But about a month ago, it just went away by itself! Maybe it was starting solid foods? I don't know?

Amy said...

My son has eczema really bad depending on the weather. Aveeno didn't work for us. We took him to a dermatologist who gave him a special cream that we use when it gets out of control. Sometimes he scratches so hard he bleeds.
You are on a good start with the switch in soap. Use anything that is free of dyes and perfumes. She also told us to slather him from head to toe with aquaphor within two minutes of getting him out of a warm bath. Showers and hot water are bad for eczema.
You can also dab aquaphor on his cheeks through out the day. Sometimes I moisten the skin slightly before I put the aquaphor on just so I can seal in a little extra moisture.
Good luck- he sure is a beautiful boy!

Meg said...

Just a thought...eczema can be a symptom of other allergies. My oldest had a severe dairy and egg allergy and eczema was one of the symptoms. When our pedi saw the eczema he asked about other symptoms she was exhibiting that I didn't realize were symptoms of anything! Something you may want to bring up to the pediatrician.

Heather said...

I don't know if you'll ever see this so I might mention it but coconut oil is great.