9.09.2010

24 hours from now...

i'll be going in for an induction. well, hopefully. i'll call at 6:00 am & they will tell me when to go - my dr. said it'll probably be around 7 or 7:30. 

yesterday was kinda a crazy day over here. i had my regular weekly appointment at 10:20. no weight gain, and i was feeling jazzed about that, but then my blood pressure was high right off the bat. i had to sit and wait a few minutes for the dr to come in and that got me nervous. i heard in the hallway the nurse say to him to look over the chart and talk about my blood pressure. she said something like "i could've measured wrong, i will go measure again." he came in not saying much and did the typical measuring externally - and then went to listen for the baby's heartbeat. he also always checks for movement, too. well, at first, we didn't hear the heartbeat, only movement... which probably shouldn't have made me panic but i did. i almost burst into tears in the few seconds it took to find that heartbeat. i think on many levels, i knew something was wrong, i just didn't know what. after the measurements, he started talking.

he said that the baby is fine, he thought. but i'm now suffering from toxemia/pre-eclampsia and that he's worried about my health. i was put on bed rest til the baby comes. then he said he'd see how soon he could make a baby come. he left the room and called down to labor and delivery. apparently they can fit me in for friday. he also wanted me to have a non stress test performed as soon as possible, and if that showed signs of stress on the baby they'd move up the induction to as soon as possible status. 

i walked out of there in shock. i called my friend sue and canceled lunch plans with her.  i called garrett, parents and sisters...  garrett took the news kinda hard. i think it was kind of hard on both of us not to be together right when we got the news. cause he was worried and i was in shock, but within a few minutes of me getting home to him, we both kinda calmed down. his mom also made a very good point - they sent me home from the hospital, so i couldn't be too bad.

i spent the next few hours fretting about all of the things that still needed to be done before this baby came. garrett spent his lunch hour doing "chore" after "chore" for me. i really appreciated that. i think it kept his mind off of things and it relieved my stress even more. we had to leave for the non stress test though ready to have a baby - which was wierd. we packed everything up, car seat and all. we didn't know if we'd be coming home for a few days.

the non stress went fine. my blood pressure started off really high, went down to normal range and then crept back up higher over the course of the approx. 30 minute test. the baby was fine. the tech lady called the dr & gave him my numbers and i was given the go ahead to go home & to follow through with friday as the plan of action. i enjoyed listening to the baby's heartbeat for that while. garrett did too. he kept talking about how he really wants to hold this baby. i kept thinking "i will fight you." doesn't he get it that i'm the baby hog?

so today, i'm either in bed or on the couch. resting. reading. watching lost. i got a good night's sleep last night. what a relief. my feet are super swollen this morning, so i'll get some ice on them soon. garrett and his dad gave me a blessing last night. everything is going to be ok. i've got my list of things that need to happen almost completely completed... my stress isn't too high. my excitement is creeping up more and more. i'm pretty sure the shock has worn off. 

we're going to have a baby tomorrow.

10 comments:

tiburon said...

I am sorry things have been so rough - but I am glad that you don't have much longer to wait!

I cannot wait to meet your little man.

If there is ANYTHING that I can help with - please let me know!!

Sending positive labor vibes your way!

Beth said...

I'm kinda in shock too! I can't believe the little man will be here so soon! Good luck with everything, we will see your little family soon.

Jan said...

Your doc is on top of things and that's a gift for sure. We will keep you and Garrett and the baby in our prayers - it will all go well! xoxo

Kristin Jones said...

So sorry that it's been so crazy, but can't wait to hear about your new arrival!! Hang in there!

Tori said...

Things will be good. Don't you fret. It's a little crazy knowing when your baby will be here. So many things go through your head, but really, it's all good. :) So, excited for the two of you, soon to be three! Look out world, baby Michael is on his way!

Aimee said...

...and by the end of the day tomorrow, your life will never be the same! SO EXCITED for you & Garrett and can't wait to see pics (so I can adore him from afar, just as you have done for Connor). :) Good luck with everything - I'll be thinking about ya!

Holly O. said...

Just hurry and have him. GEEZ! I'm sick of waiting.

Mom said...

We are so excited to see baby Michael. Take good care of yourself. We can hardly wait.

100 Percent Cottam said...

so excited for you, hayley! good luck!

Courtney said...

Good luck tomorrow. I'm sure everything will turn out great. You two are going to be awesome parents. :)