7.13.2010

eating our food storage


last year when i was building our food storage like crazy, i did a stupid thing. i bought a whole case of tuna. cause i thought the whole case was like $6. turns out, each individual sleeve of tuna was $6. the whole case was more like $50. when i got up to the cash register and realized my mistake, i was so embarrassed, that i didn't have the nerve to say "um, i don't need all of that tuna." so i just took it up the figurative butt and brought it home. and i've never lived it down. either garrett teases me or i make fun of myself pretty much anytime one of us is reminded of tuna, talk of food storage comes up, we walk into the sams or costco...

it is a good thing that i make a pretty dang good tuna fish sandwich. i doctor it up something sweet with pickles and hard boiled eggs. and it is a goal this summer to make a batch of tuna every week for our lunches, eat it for a few days... live off our food storage.

i wonder how many years it'll be before we need to buy tuna.

10 comments:

garrett said...

You're funny. I think it's you that says, "Hey, do we need some tuna?" every time we're in Sam's or Costco. :) But it is a fun little inside joke. You're my favorite.

Beth said...

That is something I would do..."oh $50...that sucks...oh well". Glad your getting some use out of that ol' chicken of the sea.

Missy said...

Don't worry, we have the same problem. My dad bought us a whole case of tuna and that was on top of the case we got at a case lot sale at Ream's. I think we've finally finished the one from Ream's. We haven't bought tuna for at least three years I think. :) Happy tuna sandwich eating!

Mom said...

That is a funny story. We like tuna fish sandwiches so you have our lunch/dinner when we come for the baby. See now aren't you glad you have that tuna.

Jori said...

Thank you for saying "up the figurative butt" that just made me SO happy. Up the literal butt would have sucked so bad!

I have never tried boiled egg in tuna, that sounds pretty darn good. Ryan taught me to put sliced picked and a slice of swiss on tuna sammies i think they are good that way too.

Aimee said...

"Is this chicken, what I have, or is this fish? I know it's tuna, but it… it says 'Chicken of the Sea'"

Hayley said...

:) gotta love some jessica simpson commentary, aimee!

Holly O. said...

I'm impressed. I don't even have tuna in our food storage. But I do have canned chicken. Real chicken. Canned chicken.

I'm just making sure you know I'M not Jessica.

Hayley said...

yes holly - i know about canned chicken. i have that too. only that is harder to keep in storage, cause we use that a lot more often.

kristi lee said...

go to the kraft website and search for their tuna cakes recipe...realllllly good stuff and a nice change from tuna sandwiches.