4.08.2010

am i the meanest teacher in the world?

one huge pet peeve of mine is when my kids don't take care of things. like when the bookshelf looks like a disaster. or my game boxes get smashed and i find pieces all over the room. so many lectures have been given about taking care of things, especially when they don't belong to you. especially when teachers are poor and so many things in our classrooms have come out of our own pockets.

we have these gel boards that i found at some convention many years ago. they're cool. they're also not cheap. i bought a class set & every year, when i let my kids use them, i specifically explain that if i ever see them abusing their gel board, they will be taken away permanently. no second chances. every year, i have to take away 2 or 3. this year, so far - only one. we use them pretty frequently, and the kids love them. it makes so many things we do in class more fun. [once a child loses his gel board, he has to just use scrap paper for the rest of the year. not nearly as fun.]

i also have a basket of things that the kids use occasionally. in that basket is markers. typically my students use crayons, cause 2nd graders get a little out of hand with markers. they've also been warned that if they don't take care of markers, they'll lose the privilege. like replacing the cap, or drawing on themselves or things that they shouldn't. well, yesterday i caught one of my kids drawing on himself. i told him to put away the marker and to use his crayons. this morning, when we were using markers to sign a birthday card, he asked me if he could use a marker. i said no. i told him he was done for the year, unless there was a special circumstance that i allowed it. [gave myself a little out there, in case i want to change my mind.]

thing is - the kid that lost his gel board and the kid that lost his marker privileges are the same kid. he clearly is struggling with either listening to me or just plain taking care of things. he's a good kid, his things are all just thrashed. i'm not trying to be mean to him but i'm also not dying for things that i bought to be ruined.

am i being to hard on him?

6 comments:

Beth said...

I don't think your the meanest teacher ever...I had a 4th grade to teacher that makes you look pink and fluffy! You give the kids options and rules...they get to choose the rest. It's sooo not easy being a teacher. Much respect!

Holly O. said...

His mom probably thinks you are being too strict. She's thinking "He's only in second grade! He deserves another chance." But what you are teaching him helps her at home, so...

Hayley said...

don't even get me started on his mom. we'll save that for a phone convo, hojo. actually, she's pretty strict when she's around. i'll only say that. and she's got both of her boys in karate.

Heather B said...

No, you are not being too mean. I think that's awesome that you stick to your guns. I do it in my classroom too.

BTW, I'm kinda like that in my parenting, and I've been complimented on it many times. we have many talks about privileges and consequences. So, you're getting in some good practice!

Heather B said...

Oh yeah, and I was gonna tell you, turns out Hayley was all up in Jackson's face, so he kicked her in the nose, and that's when she bit him. Can't wait for when they are three and seven, and break out the fist fighting.

Mom said...

You left yourself some room so he can gain his trust back. Unfortunately some people are just messy and they really don't ever learn to take care of things.