2.17.2010

stories

so, let me tell you a little story. in december, i was on my 3rd cycle trying to get pregnant. i need everyone to know i'm not patient. so i was also getting very frustrated, slightly panicked and way more disappointed than i felt like admitting. then i blogged & shortly after felt stupid. i was just scared & didn't think i was ovulating. for someone like me, who has always dreamed of becoming a mom, hogging babies left and right - as often as i can, i felt a little lost. luckily, i have a wonderful husband who was helping me get through it.

looking back now i realize i was over emotionalizing it & a little uneducated. the reason why i freaked on that post is because i'd been temping. and my temping wasn't showing "normal" signs of ovulating. and i was so sad about that. even though i'd just had 2 days of positive ovulation predictor kit pee sticks & we hadn't ignored that [wink wink] evidence. but traditionally, if you have positive opks, you also have a temperature spike. i didn't. for 3 days. then, i didn't take it at the regular time, so it wasn't as reliable. and then every other day for the next week or so, it went up then down all over the charts. i really didn't think i was ovulating & quite frankly it was based on decent evidence, minus the fact that temping is only reliable when you're getting good solid sleep & heaven only knows that doesn't typically happen for me. but evidently, i did ovulate that week. i'm not positive exactly when... but then skip forward another week or two.

my skin starts breaking out. my back is getting sore. i'm tired and slightly grumpy. what a treat for my husband, right? i'm expecting my period friday, but nothing happens. saturday, while on the phone with my sister, she convinces me to take a pregnancy test. i do, i read it as negative & throw it away. told garrett i did it & that it was negative. monday morning, still nothing along the lines of the crimson tide happening over here. i take another test. i read it as negative & jump in the shower. garrett comes in a few minutes later & is like "what the what?" apparently he doesn't read the pee stick as a negative.

information that might've been helpful on a saturday: a faint line doesn't mean negative, it means positive. i took 2 tests and read them both as negative. but in all actuality - those mofos are positive. i have an incredible head cold, you might remember i blogged about it, here. i survive the day at school only because my student teacher was starting. i'm in total and complete denial that i might actually be pregnant. that night, we went to the nearest hospital & get a blood test done. an hour later, after we've made dinner & i've managed to even forget [that's how sick i was] to even call and get result... we both hear the girl say "it was positive" and i finally start believing.

so those are my stories for you. i'm pregnant. i typed this blog post on 1.12.10. i wanted to write it out while it was still fresh in my memory. you won't read it though for a while. it's killing me. i want to scream it from the rooftops. so that's me folks, a lot bit freakish. i didn't think i was even ovulating, let alone getting anywhere near getting pregnant. i was gearing up to go to the dr to see what was wrong with my girly bits. instead i should probably just have my head looked at. i can't wait, i can't wait, i can't wait.

p.s. if you freaked out because i talked about my period on here, chill. it never came, remember? sorry dad!

[the rest was written today:] yes it is early to share the news, i'm only 9 weeks along, but with as sick as i am, i kinda need people to know so they don't just think i'm a flake. i'm not faking, i'm not avoiding things, i'm just sick. i'm not being a very good friend often, canceling outings or not returning phone calls... i just can't keep up. if you don't believe me, come see my messy house.

p.p.s. here's some pictures from my appointment last week. we heard a heartbeat. someone might've cried. we're really excited & to me, it seems a little more real now. now if only i could get over the nausea & puking, i'd appear much happier. i know some people have suspected, based on my weird cravings, always been tired, etc. now you know why. and some of you have known & are going to just be happy to finally have an official announcement made. oh and one last confession - i really do have a pregnant friend, i wasn't talking about myself. but don't ask who, that's her story to tell when the time comes. and i still feel stupid about freaking out, but i have made a fool of myself before. oh & my student teacher has moved on, she was only with me for 5 weeks. it was so nice to have her & now i really miss her.

this picture isn't clear at all, but we did see pretty clearly the image of a little baby.

this picture shows the heartbeat. it was fast, so the nurse predicted a girl. the dr said not to listen to her.

33 comments:

tiburon said...

I am soooo glad you are finally telling people. It has been hard to keep my mouth shut!!

CONGRATS (again - even though I have already said it 3000000000 times!!!)

WOO HOO!!!!

buttercup said...

EEEEEE! That is such exciting news! Congrats to you and Garrett.

Barb McLean said...

Hayley... I am still chuckling to myself at your whole story of discovering you are pregnant. You are a "pip"!!!! Your world will never be the same again, and I know you will be an amazing mom! You have great examples to learn from(Mom, Grandma, sisters) and over the years I have thought that you really are the most amazing aunt so this will be a smooth transition. I love hearing how happy you are with your life with Garrett. the Mclean Clan sends you a big fat CONGRATS!!!!

tara said...

FANTASTIC NEWS hayley (and Garrett...he played a necessary role). I could not be HAPPIER for the two of you:)

Jan said...

Well, I'm squealing with delight over here -- CONGRATULATIONS!! So happy for you guys - this little person is going to have a wonderful family.

Holly O. said...

You are WHAT?!?!?!?!

Just kidding. I couldn't be happier for you and G-Funk!

kate said...

YAY, YAY, YAY, YAY!!!!!!!!!! WE'RE SO HAPPY FOR YOU HAYLEY!!!!! I CAN NOT BE ANY HAPPIER RIGHT NOW READING THIS!! I'M SO EXCITED.

Heather B said...

Yay! Glad it's "official" now. Congrats!

Chens Do China said...

i started to type stoked and typed storked instead. both seem appropriate! way to grow a baby, girl!

Deb and AJ said...

Congratulations to you and Garrett. I'm so glad it's public knowledge now....Roy doesn't keep secrets very well.

MiaKatia said...

Congratulations!!!! I'm so happy for you guys. What wonderful news :)

Mom said...

I agree with Barb and loved the whole pregnancy story. We are so happy to welcome #10 in our family.
Now I can tell people??

Amy said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome! Congratulations to you and your hubby!

J+S said...

Congratulations! I am so happy for you. Best wishes on the morning sickness stuff!

Jenny said...

I'm so excited for you! You are going to be the best mom. Congratulations!!

Suzanne said...

Yippee! I almost cried too when I read about your doctor appointment. You should listen to the nurse; they usually know more than the docs. Looking forward to the newest Ward!

Aimee said...

Wow, wow, wow! All I can say is WOW!

SO HAPPY for the two of you!

Though I don't know you IRL (we could fix that in a few weeks), I can bet that you'll make amazing parents.

CONGRATULATIONS!!

Courtney said...

Congratulations! I can't wait to see you both as parents. I know that you'll do great. And Garrett is going to melt like crazy!

Heather said...

I could not be any happier for you Hayley!! I was always an early blabber too, why not??! Love ya.

Beth said...

WOOT wOOT! many happy returns to you and G-ward. Glad it's out now so I don't have to keep the exciting news to myself either!

garrett said...

Thanks, everyone, for all the well wishes! We're very excited! Hayley, I just love you. I know you'll be the best mom in the world and love the hell outta that kid. I want to squeeze you so bad right now! I can't WAIT for friday!!! Love you.

caron said...

Hoo rah!!
Congratulations, you guys. I'm totally excited for you and I'm sure the little munchkin will be so cute!! YAY!!

Suzie said...

I am a blubbering idiot here at my computer! Tears of joy for a wonderful woman & her awesome hubs.
SO happy for you. You'll make one amazing mama.
Totally looking forward to seeing you go through this whole journey.
HuGS!!!

Jared Ward said...

Why am I always the last to know these kinds of things?

Way to make babies you two!!!

Tori said...

I am so excited for you guys! I hope you get feeling better soon. Being sick sucks. I became good friends with my couch and got to know the toilet more than I cared too when I was prego with Rylie.
You guys will be awesome parents. Woooo Hoooo! So excited!!!

Sarah Young said...

WAHOOOOO!!!!!!! CONGRATS, CONGRATS, CONGRATS! That is so awesome!!!

Jori said...

WHOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Happy!!

Kai and Amy said...

Yay! I am so happy for you! My first test was negative and I was like . . . really? I should be a pro at this now. But then I took it a week later and it was positive.

First time pregnancy and motherhood is so special. Sorry about the sickness. I hit a car on the way to Kaneohe right at the sewage treatment plant because I threw up. I used to take naps at the kids' luch time:)

Hope you feel better soon:)

Mike and Gin said...

I kinda had a feeling that you were based on your last few posts! How exciting! Enjoy every day because before you know it your nine months pregnant and wondering where did the time go. Let us know when you feel the first "flutters" :)

Anonymous said...

C O N G R A T U L A T I O N S !!
Soooooooo Happy for YOU & GARRETT---YEAH!!
Jen Stout
stoutshouse@juno.com

Maren said...

Awesome awesome awesome! Yay Hayley's gunna be a momma! When are you due then? September? October? November 3rd? (just kidding) Love you! Way to go Wards!

HeRoosSheRoos said...

Congratulations!

Jessica Sorensen said...

Friend of garrett we meet once. anyways congrats and I am sorry you are sick I know how you feel. Good Luck and congrats and just wait until the baby comes Garrett will for sure cry then. Even my husband who never cries cried when our daughter was born.