1.29.2010

heaven HELP me

So I'm started reading this book, The Help by Kathryn Stockett last night. I'm on page 24 right now, so I'm not very far into it, but I'm absolutely loving it. Already, I find miss Aibileen totally endearing. Not just her, most of the characters I've met.

I just have to share this little part, cause it made me snort. Aibileen's no good husband ran off with some girl named Cocoa like 20 years ago. Aibileen's best friend Minny is full of piss and vinegar and I think we'd be friends. Aibileen's got this prayer book that she writes in to be smart. Aibileen and Minny were walking after church talking and Minny says, "Week after Clyde left you, I heard that Cocoa wake up to her cootchie spoilt like a rotten oyster. Didn't get better for three months. Bertrina, she good friends with Cocoa. She know your prayer works." [any grammar errors were left, as this is a direct quote from the book. I'm not just writing poorly.] Apparently Bertrina and Aibileen haven't been friends for years, but now Bertrina needs some blessing & is trying to ask to make it on Aibileen's prayer list.

oh my goodness. I love it. don't worry, I didn't spoil any major plot lines for you. the book is 444 pages long & I'm only on page 24. i love a good book like this. I'm so excited to keep reading.

9 comments:

garrett said...

I love getting good book ideas from you! I'll have to read that one next after Devil in the White City. Oh, and I love that you would be good friends with the piss and vinegar character. ;)

Mom said...

I just ordered it from the library. Garrett is gearing up for Chicago reading "Devil in the White City."

Jan said...

I finished that one about a month ago and like you, LOVED it. Such a wonderful book -- so fun to read and I'm with you -- piss and vinegar is the one for me.

em said...

I'm going to have to check that one out. Thanks for the suggestion

Aimee said...

Yay! Another book to add to my list. :)

MN said...

I'm glad you're loving it too. It was one of my favorites from last year. I love it when I cry and laugh in a book.

Karyn said...

OH my gosh! I just finished this book last week. I loved it SO So SO much. I am glad yo're loving it, too. Just wait. There is so much more great stuff to come. I want a sequel cause I miss them already.

Holly O. said...

That is a goody. It just gets better! Although by now, you are probably just about finished.

Kai and Amy said...

I love a good book!