darnit. garrett @ 6
so i can't help but share some of the stories from when garrett was "little"... little is in quotes because i think he was in 4th or 5th grade for some of these things. some of these stories his parents got so mad at him about & if i were the parent in the situation, i would too - don't get me wrong. [also, as the teacher - i'd get mad, too. just remember the "naughty boys" while they might get in the most trouble are typically my favorite students. not the "rotten" ones. just naughty.]
- last fall when garrett's parents were moving out of their house, i found in the closet of his childhood years a lovely mispelled "garrett's closit" tag of ownership. it melted my heart. he might've had to share a bedroom, but apparently the closet was all his.
- he also pointed out where his name & his little brother's names were on the wall in the basement with a bunch of check marks next to them... back in the day, check marks meant you were being good... and they were both being really good this one time. so... lots of check marks. i'm sure that was a treasure for his mom.
- not so much a treasure for his mom was the time garrett didn't like a little boy in his class. the boy's name was kim & he wrote "kim is a but" in crayon on the wall. he got in trouble with the teacher. his parents had to come in... he had to do community service & clean walls. this story sends me into giggles everytime i hear it. what a stinker! but seriously, how hilarious. what 1st or 2nd grader is that clever? not too many i know.
- when he was older - life 4th or 5th grade, he bopped some kid in his neighborhood with his trapper keeper & gave him a bloody nose. and he tells me that he was terrified that he was going to get told on & get in more trouble, but i guess it never happened. this is one of those stories that i should be like "garrett!!!" but i can't help but laugh at imagining him doing it.
- somewhere in the middle grades he had a teacher who sent him down to the office to call his mom so often for talking that he eventually stopped even going to the office. he started just wandering the halls for a while & eventually he'd go back to class & say something like "thanks a lot, now i'm in trouble" all huffy like. little manipulator.
- i guess there was also a neighbor woman who would invite garrett over just to talk... he's always been a good story teller & he entertained this lady. i love that he has always had such a cute personality.