9.16.2009

tales of garrett's childhood

darnit. garrett @ 6


so i can't help but share some of the stories from when garrett was "little"... little is in quotes because i think he was in 4th or 5th grade for some of these things. some of these stories his parents got so mad at him about & if i were the parent in the situation, i would too - don't get me wrong. [also, as the teacher - i'd get mad, too. just remember the "naughty boys" while they might get in the most trouble are typically my favorite students. not the "rotten" ones. just naughty.]
  • last fall when garrett's parents were moving out of their house, i found in the closet of his childhood years a lovely mispelled "garrett's closit" tag of ownership. it melted my heart. he might've had to share a bedroom, but apparently the closet was all his.
  • he also pointed out where his name & his little brother's names were on the wall in the basement with a bunch of check marks next to them... back in the day, check marks meant you were being good... and they were both being really good this one time. so... lots of check marks. i'm sure that was a treasure for his mom.
  • not so much a treasure for his mom was the time garrett didn't like a little boy in his class. the boy's name was kim & he wrote "kim is a but" in crayon on the wall. he got in trouble with the teacher. his parents had to come in... he had to do community service & clean walls. this story sends me into giggles everytime i hear it. what a stinker! but seriously, how hilarious. what 1st or 2nd grader is that clever? not too many i know.
  • when he was older - life 4th or 5th grade, he bopped some kid in his neighborhood with his trapper keeper & gave him a bloody nose. and he tells me that he was terrified that he was going to get told on & get in more trouble, but i guess it never happened. this is one of those stories that i should be like "garrett!!!" but i can't help but laugh at imagining him doing it.
  • somewhere in the middle grades he had a teacher who sent him down to the office to call his mom so often for talking that he eventually stopped even going to the office. he started just wandering the halls for a while & eventually he'd go back to class & say something like "thanks a lot, now i'm in trouble" all huffy like. little manipulator.
  • i guess there was also a neighbor woman who would invite garrett over just to talk... he's always been a good story teller & he entertained this lady. i love that he has always had such a cute personality.
i just love this guy. and i can't wait to see what trouble we bring into this world.

13 comments:

Jori said...

That is such a cute picture, and hilarious stories! You guys are going to have some darling spunky kids.:)

Katey said...

I love all those stories! So funny that Garrett kid. I think my all time favorite story that I could hear him tell over and over is when he broke his leg falling down the stairs and how his mom said they would go to the hospital after dinner and he waited. Every time I trip on the stairs it comes back to my mind.

Kid stories are the best!

Jan said...

So fun to run across stuff like that -- I love it. He's a keeper for sure!

Hayley said...

oh yeah Katey, that is a good one. I didn't include any stories of him getting hurt... tripping on stairs, jumping out of trees... that's a whole other post! :)

MiaKatia said...

He is so cute! Those stories crack me up. I am sure I would have a fit if my kids did that, but I hope I would see how adorable it is too :)

Shelley~Maren said...

Me either... so get crack-a-lackin! Even if there's no baby, it's fun to practice! hah!

Holly O. said...

I remember when Kevin and I were first married and I finally looked through the old photo albums. I thought my heart was going to explode and I was beyond excited to see what our kids would look like. Now I know what the kids look (and act) like and...well...they're cute. Your little nuggets will be cute too.

Mom said...

I can just picture some cute kids. Funny stories, too.

Heather said...

Your kids will have some personality...that's for sure :) hahahahahahahahaha Funny stories!

garrett said...

My favorite part about the little kid stories is when you're old enough to tell your parents about it and all they can do is roll their eyes at you. ;)

Love you Hayley! Hope we don't get too crazy at our kids when they're a little naughty.

TheFirstWard said...

Here is another story about Garrett. We went up to Bear Lake for a family reunion. Garrett started telling stories and we all laughed so hard it difficult to see the road throught the tears. We enjoyed the on going story he was telling so much, we stopped in the town of Bear Lake and got a raspberry shake. His stories were so funny we lost track of time listening to him make up these things about the Bear Lake Monster and such. As a result, we missed most of the family reunion! But, we sure had a good time.

When we got to the reunion they were doing a talent show. We tried to get Garrett to go up and display his talent of story telling, but he wouldn't do it in front of that meany people.

Hayley said...

thanks for sharing brad! i love these stories about him. he's still a great story teller!

tiburon said...

Those are fantastic! I love me some Garrett too :)