6.12.2009

outspoken?

would you consider me outspoken? apparently most of the people at my school think so. at our end of year social today, i was given the "award" most outspoken. at first, i was just happy to get a piece of candy. then as i sat and thought about it, i felt like a huge horse's ass. cause i guess i don't have a positive connection in me brains with being outspoken.

not going to lie, i kinda stewed. before i left the gathering, i told kimmy that i was going to tell anyone who said i'm outspoken to suck it. hmmm - where oh where would people get that idea of me?

so tonight - i looked up the definition of outspoken:
out·spo·ken - adj.
1. Spoken without reserve; candid.
2. Frank and unreserved in speech.

ok - so those aren't as bad as in my head i made outspoken out to be. but still. i don't mind being known as a blunt person. i like people to know i will speak my mind. but still, not too deep down, i don't think i like being called that word. too bad i wasn't in on passing out some "awards" - i could've come up with a doozy or two for a few people. luckily for them, i know when to keep my mouth shut [sometimes] and don't tell everyone everything i think. see - i'm not outspoken, am i? would you be offended if someone called you outspoken?

12 comments:

Holly O. said...

Don't stew. Seriously. Outspoken doesn't HAVE to be a bad thing.

Heather B said...

Oh, Hales. I'm sorry if your award hurt your feelings. If it makes you feel any better, your bluntness is exactly why I love you.

And P.S. there were "other" awards they were going to give out, but decided not to. See me for details. I'll give you one guess who got the "Missing in Action" award... One hint? It wasn't a teacher.

Aimee said...

Maybe they termed you "outspoken" because you're opinionated, and not afraid to speak your mind... and secretly they're jealous of you, wishing they were ballsy-er? Personally, I'd rather be around outspoken all day than timid.

Elizabeth Ward. said...

depending on the tone used when I was being called outspoken,so... yes and no.

I think that I am honest to the point of being outspoken. I have cut back my honest remarks for people who are asking for my honest opinion and know the consequence of asking, Other than that I keep my mouth shut these days, mostly.

garrett said...

I think you're frank, honest, and not afraid to speak your opinion. (And I like that in you. :) ) If that's what they mean by outspoken, sure; that's fine. But like you said, you do have a filter... so if those school folk meant anything negative with that "award" I'll join you in telling them to suck it. ;)

em said...

My mouth is always getting me in trouble. When I was younger a kind neighbor told me I had no tact. So, I try to be better and find myself biting my tongue a lot more as I get older. I don't think its a bad thing to be outspoken, its ok to let other people know what you think.

Tori said...

A person can't live with all that bottled up tension. It's just not healthy! Let it out sister!! :) I think your "outspokenness" is just the right amount.

Kristi said...

Hayley, your being outspoken is a Wonderful thing and is exactly why I think you are so freakin cool. You just keep on keepin on and don't let it bother you because the "outspoken" award really stands for the "awesome" award :)

Shelley~Maren said...

It's not a horse's ass award, it's just outspoken. I'd rather have a friend that doesn't hold out on me, who calls me out on a regular basis, who speaks her mind, and knows who she is, rather than one who silently judges me... or someone who sugar-coats things to the point where I KNOW they're lying.

It's like Mulan. You're true to your heart, and that's the Hayley we love. Like your sis said, Outspoken isn't a bad thing. Embrace it, run with it, and most importantly, don't change. ;)

Heather said...

I think you have gotten some really great comments and couldn't agree more, yes you are outspoken, but NO it's not a bad thing! Shelley cracked me up, she's right, it wasn't a horse's ass award...although...maybe you should get that one too, at times only at times hahahahahaha.

Mom said...

Let that one roll right off your back. I have seen how those people at work love you. I'm sure they meant it in a positive way.a

tiburon said...

I would NEVER be offended.

If they called me uptight - that would offend me.