3.05.2009

tidbits...

  • i'm half way through with parent teacher conferences. last night was very sucessful. these kids are good kids. i really enjoy them. and they've made a ton of progress, especially with their reading this year. tonight will probably go smoothly, too.
  • i've also realized that i don't ever want to think too highly of my child's intelligence. i'm not saying don't believe in them. i'm not saying don't point out their strengths. but - some people think that just because their child is a fantastic reader - which i agree with! - that they're a genius in every way. when they aren't super comprehenders. when they don't grasp new math skills even as quickly as other kids who might be in resource. i can't stand parents that are smug & act like any shortcoming is all my fault. and not their little genius' fault. i might not be a perfect teacher, not the nicest, etc - but one thing i'm pretty damn sure about is: i reach out to my gifted kids just as much as my strugglers. my principal realizes it. i know it, cause i've focused on it for years. most other parents have really appreciated it, as well. it's called differentiation and i do it, baby. so suck it. mhmm. thanks for letting me vent.
  • i go off track tomorrow. yay for 3 weeks of slowing down in life a little. yay for a chance to finally get my name changed, etc.
  • did i mention that we got slammed this week with speaking in church on sunday & callings? i'm happy with the calling. we'll be doing it together, and it's not going to be a major time suck. just one hour on sunday. i really didn't want to have weekly meetings, etc... i'm not even going to think about preparing a talk til tomorrow, after conferences, after tracking off...
  • my pants are so tight today that i'm afraid there might be spontaneous combustion. or something. i don't know how i'll be able to do them back up after lunch. there might be tears.
  • i haven't had dr pepper since last thursday. it's a bloody miracle. that's the only good of this bladder infection. and since i was on so much pain killers - no withdrawl headaches, too. yay!!! i even passed up free dr pepper, which is the best kind, twice yesterday.
  • i'm still peeing more than i'd like to be. last night was up only twice in the night though.
  • working late makes me miss Garrett way too much. last night i got home & hadn't properly "winded down" like i usually can before he comes home. so i had to bite him a lot maybe. and i feel bad cause he's kinda sick... so i'm sure i was wearing him out.
  • Dr. Seuss books are best read S-L-O-W-L-Y!
  • don't let your kids be the stinky kid in class. it is noticed. you should be ashamed.
  • i'm craving some down time to just clean my house like a good little wifey should & read.
  • i like making faces. very unflattering ones. and as i get chubbier and chubbier, i become more and more aware of how chubby & ugly i must look a lot of the time. but i don't stop making the faces.
  • ALSO - (THIS IS ADDED LATER) i realize i might sound a little negative or smug myself here... but. not all public education is horrible. and if your child is such a little genius, why couldn't she cut it in the private school? get over yourself is all i'm saying. yes, we have our limitations. yes, we can't be elite... but - there are some fantastic teachers out there who do what they should, for the love of kids, regardless of how little money we make.

15 comments:

tiburon said...

I do my best to make sure my kids aren't the stinky ones.

Good luck on the talk!

See you in 2 more days :)

Jared said...

You undo your pants for lunch???

Hayley said...

oh my gosh - jared. you kill me. no, i don't typically undo my pants for lunch, although it's been known to happen. but. i meant - after lunch, when i have to pee... and do my pants back up again.

Holly O. said...

What are you eating lately? I need a new craving.

garrett said...

...who DOESN'T undo their pants for lunch?

DeWald Family said...

As a teacher who has spent years frustrated with those parents, I have such a hard time not feeling like my child is special! It is a constant struggle. Please always be patient with the children of teachers... it is so hard!

but I too hate those parents (they don't get over it and are still at it when their kids get to high school!)

MiaKatia said...

I think I have a new goal in life not to let my kid be the stinky one!

Jennifer said...

I think the better, more amazing teachers ARE in the public school system. That is why my kids are there and not in Catholic school where I attended. Parents are going to be kooky about their own kids...just know that you are making a difference in the kids lives...and it sounds like some of those "center of the universe" kids might be getting that dose of reality from you that they aren't getting at home. So their future workmates could thank you!

And for the record, I undo my pants AFTER lunch. To make room for the food baby.

Judd Family said...

It was interesting to see your tidbits!! Now that my kids are in school, I've seen a lot of parents with attitudes like that! I have some smart kids and some average kids, and I've decided it doesn't matter. If they read early in grade school or not--there are many aspects of school and I think they are all important. I hope your parents didn't give you too hard a time!

Heather said...

I don't want my child to be the stinky one, or the one with dirt under their finger nails. Yuck. Undoing your pants before or after lunch makes perfect sense :) Do you have some high maintenance parents in your class this year or what?

Hayley said...

only one parent. this whole rant is directed at one special parent. the rest of them, easy breezy.

Mom said...

I have always known you would be a fantastic teacher. I predicted that years ago when you wanted to go into education and you were not even in high school yet. You teach because you wnat to and that has been your goal from the beginning.

Shelley~Maren said...

I'm glad G lets you bite him. :)

tara said...

elastic waistband.


smelly kids need their own classroom with their own smelly teacher. I LOATHED the smelly boys who would come to the studio AFTER a long day at school/recess/soccer WHATEVER. some kids need two showers a day. just a thought.

pammy said...

Hey .. you deserve to rant! Being the mom of a public education "teacher" i know just how you feel .. come on parents .. not eveyone's kid is a genius .. wait till they get into high school ... it never ends ...(the parents bitching about crap i mean)