2.19.2009

marriage has its benefits...

no, this isn't some pervy post about sex... sorry to disappoint. i mean, this isn't facebook. (i only say that because jared called us skeevy pervs because one or two of our status updates might've been a little questionable... i think he's just a prude)

i'm talking about a few financial benefits that we've run into this week. and since i'm so excited about them, i'm going to share.

  • Garrett's medical insurance through his work - free. amazing in this day and age. it's free to them if they're free, married, or have 23 kids. so of course, we've finally worked out all of the kinks... cancelled my insurance & gotten on his. savings of over $140 a month.
  • Allstate and their many wonders with auto insurance. you see their commercials, you get sucked into their caring hands. but do you actually reap their benefits? have you been suckered into lower prices & similar coverage by the "little guys"? well... alls i'm saying is this: we compared our two policies & coverages. then we talked to the peoples. for g funkarelli to join me on my policy - with all of the married discounts, etc - it is only an additional $17 a month more than what my previous policy was. his company - paled in comparison. and they didn't give nearly as good of coverage. so again, another $100 savings per month.
  • Verizon. i heart them forever. it didn't hurt that our sales associate dude last night was from chicago, hence a bears fan. i liked him anyway. but we were able to get garrett a new phone using part of their $50 a year credit towards a new phone deal, which NO OTHER PEOPLE DO, (correct me if i'm wrong...) and then we were able to join our plans & get more minutes, plus 10 free numbers to select to call for free all for the price of about $10 less than what my current single girl plan was. for 2 phones. so basically - we're getting one cell phone plan for free each month, but with more minutes & i'll get to talk to my mom and dad for free. always. suck that t-mobile. oh, and - garrett was so taken by his new phone last night that he could barely contain himself. he didn't even watch lost. whoa!
i love all of these savings. it makes for a happy girl. single life as a homeowner on a teacher's salary - not fun. you had to make sacrifices so that you could be social... but that meant you didn't have any savings & that you lived paycheck to paycheck & often times ran short in a month. now, we've got plans & goals... we're working towards getting out of all debts & building a savings... so that i can live my dream life of being just a wifey & momma. garrett, unfortunately, will still have to work. i'll just have to work that much harder to make the time when he is home all the better... i can do that ;)

i love the MANY benefits of married life. even if i can barely sleep due to a snoring bed partner.

13 comments:

garrett said...

Yay for fewer and lower bills! And thanks for talking me into that phone. It's pretty awesome. :) Love you, babe! Now if I can just stop snoring...

Katey said...

I recall a little vacation where I suffered from not getting as much sleep as I would like do that the roaring thunderous snores that come out of Mister Garrett A Ward. I feel very sorry for you and I hope that some how you figure out how to block that sound out and can get back to a peaceful nights sleep!!!!

Shelley~Maren said...

John snores too. lol He fell asleep on my brother's couch while we were chilling with my parents right there, and started snoring in front of them. haha! Oh, and I love that Garrett says "Now if I can just stop snoring..." How cute is that? The only thing you maybe might not love about him, and he wants to change it. I love him for you! Awesome! Enjoy the other benefits! ;) Love ya!

Hayley said...

shelley - for the record - if he falls asleep to take a nap or something, listening to him snore doesn't bother me, i actually kinda smile about it. only in the night when i'm not able to fall asleep and start to panic about it does it bug me. but i feel bad about it - like when i wake him up or whatever.

Holly O. said...

I need to look up that phone. New phones are always a treat! And as a snorer, give G-Funk a break. I feel for the guy.

Jared said...

You guys should check into Bear River. They have great benefits and are by far the least expensive. They are very picky about who they will take, so no citations in the past three years or you can't get them (we only just qualified last month :). They do home insurance, too. Get your house and your cars insured by the same company and you save even more $$$.

Aimee said...

Just wait 'til you do your taxes next year! As for the snoring... Brian had that problem, too. CPAP machine to the rescue, and I've never slept better! It ain't sexy (so maybe wait a few more months ;), but he no longer snores!

Jennifer said...

Woo hoo for marriage benefits. I think there should be more of these perks for taking the challenge of partnering up with someone for life!

Mom said...

Sounds great. I am happy for you. Nothing like being out of debt and that is hard to do these days.

Judd Family said...

Loved your musings about finances. (Jason snores too, by the way.) Jason just graduated from school after 8 1/2 years of marriage, so now we are learning what it is like to have an actual paycheck, and like you said--SAVE!! Totally great concept! Glad you are enjoying being married. Definitely better than singel, I say!

Jared said...

Oh, and also I have been called many things over the years, but I don't think "a prude" has ever been one of them. I believe that when I called you "skeezy pervs," that the burn you were looking for was, "Takes one to know one." To which I would have replied, "I'm rubber and you're glue, whatever you say bounces off me and sticks to you." Then Garrett would say, "Your mom is glue." But I wouldn't be offended because my mom and his mom are the same, so really he just burned his mom. So, we would have a good laugh about that, then we would team up to dominate you and Liz at Sequence again.

Sarah Young said...

Amen to snoring bedpartners
Amen to t-mobile sucking it
Amen to marital awesomeness
Amen to be pervy if you want to
Amen to savings and goals!

P.S. Check out Dave Ramsey Total Money Makeover, he is the savings and goals maestro!

tiburon said...

That is AWESOME!!!!

(cept for the snoring part...)