1.30.2009

2 fantastic books

I just finished reading Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay for my bookclub reading this month. I can't wait for bookclub Monday night to discuss this book. It was a WWII book, which almost immediately means I was going to like it... I have a facination with reading and learning about that war. I can't believe it happened, especially not so long ago, my Grandpa fought in this war.

The story has 2 main plots going on... One is about a little Jewish girl in Paris, during the war who is involved in the Vel' d'Hiv - which I had never heard about until this book, but have since looked into quite a bit. This part of the story is interesting, heartbreaking, touching, and devastating. The second plot is about a lady researching the Vel' d'Hiv and dealing with dysfunction and family in her own life. also incredibly thought provoking & relatable, because it's current (although still a few years ago...)

If you haven't - read it... You won't regret it. I couldn't put it down. It was easily the best book I've read in a long time, so when I next picked up my next book, I was almost dreading it a little... I have a hard time after finishing a super book moving on to the next. but I was immediately drawn in again - good times for me!

For my next month book club book, we're reading The Story of Edgar Sawtelle by David Wroblewski. I got started on it right away, cause it is a longy... and I have it checked out from the library. I'm less than 200 pages into it - but I LOVE it, as well... I have a lot of reading left to do, but it will get read. It is beautiful & well written.

Just wanted to share a few good finds, in case you're looking for something to keep you busy.

14 comments:

Mom said...

I just ordered the books from the library. I have seen it on goodreads but you made me decide I must read it now.

Heather said...

I LOVED those books too, so much I was going to blog about them as well.

Carter Fam said...

Wow, they both sound great especially "Sarah's Key" I too have a fascination for WWII novels/movies. I can't wait to get my hands on that one! Thanks for sharing.

Holly O. said...

I have been on hold forever at the library for Edward. Do you think it is worth a purchase if I am sick of waiting???

Holly O. said...

I have been on hold forever at the library for Edgar. Do you think it is worth a purchase if I am sick of waiting???

Jamie Harker said...

Is Sarah's key the one that they guy that wrote it JUST said wasn't actually true? I still totally want to read it though. thanks for blogging about them.

Hayley said...

No Sarah's key was never supposed to be true. The event was, but not the characters.

Melissa said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE WWII books, will try this one out for sure. Have you read "The Book Thief"?

tiburon said...

I can't believe you are READING. Didn't you just get married?!?

Hayley said...

silly tib... i read in bed. you can't always be doing that stuff. as for tv - i'm way behind on that, don't worry :)

Judd Family said...

I am always looking fora good read. Thanks so much for the recommendations! I hope you are doing well.

tiburon said...

Hayley - there are other things you should be doing in bed.

Not reading.

Just.saying.

Karyn said...

ohh! Thanks for the recommendations. I'll add them to my ever-growing list of to-read on Goodreads.

Yansor said...

Hello
If you want Tatiana de Rosnay to call in to your bookclub, contact her via her website or Facebook !

http://www.tatianaderosnay.com/