12.05.2008

winter break from school

i feel like i don't talk as much about school this year, either. mostly because we're having a good year. these kids are wonderful, probably one of the best classes i've had. if not the best. there are some struggling readers, but most of them have made tremendous progress this year - i'm so proud of their hard work. but i don't have behavior problems, especially not like i've had in recent years... closest thing to a behavior problem is a little guy who has a pretty questionable home life, who is street smart & i worry about his future - but he hasn't given me trouble.

i'm going off track today. for a month. and while i'll REALLY ENJOY this break, i'm going to miss my students. they're a fun little bunch of buggers. there's a lot of personality, sweetness, and tenderness in our classroom. today, i was showered with lovely, thoughtful little gifts. and so many hugs. i hope i'm a good influence in their lives...

yesterday my parents stopped by my school on their way out of town & my dad read my kids a story, while my momma and i sat and listened... what a special memory for me & these kids. one of the kids commented that they wish they could hear another story from my dad later in the day, & i knew that my dad would enjoy hearing that... "what'd they think of my milli vanilli impression?" - right daddio? holly posted a sweet thought about my dad today. and when i saw the picture of my parents in my room this morning, i almost started to cry. i have amazing parents. some of my kids - they don't. i hope that they're safe & have a great christmas this year... i hope someone loves them the way my parents love(d) me.

I LOVE THE CHRISTMAS SEASON!!!

7 comments:

Mom said...

It is always fun to come to your classrom. Every mom and dad loves to see their children in action.

Holly O. said...

YOU ARE DONE FOR A MONTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah Young said...

Hayley, you're so awesome. Thanks for your advice. I really needed it. Sometimes it's easy to forget that as a human I am allowed a ceratin amount of screw ups. In the long run, spacing piano lessons and having a crumb farm under my kitchen table and a mountain of laundry aren't really going to matter. Your kids at school and the kids you and Garrett will have someday are lucky to have your wisdom and humor in their lives.

Heather said...

Can't wait to share some of that month with you!!

MiaKatia said...

Have a really nice break!

Dad said...

Just so you know I am not ignoring you, I will comment on this (old) blog. I enjoyed visiting your class, you always make me feel special and important and my recent visit to your class was no exception. I can see why you like your kids, they smile, make eye contact and seem like they are fun kids.

If I had my choice, I'd be fun vs. smart (I say that because I was never the smart kid...if the truth was known, I wasn't the fun kid either. It's a good thing both have changed now that I am an "older" kid.

Jan said...

I'm so glad you have such a great class - -you totally deserve it. They are lucky to have you!