10.29.2008

a hundred plus dollars later...

for the last week or so, my ears have been hurting. i've had lots of ear infections this year. they've also been magnified with migraines & blurred vision. it's not fun. this time around, i decided not to mess with it. as soon as the migraines started happening every day, i went to the doctor.

good news: its not an ear infection yet. i didn't wait long enough for it to become infected...

but

bad news: there is drainage build up behind my ear drum, pressuring my inner ear. which, if left untreated, can cause permanent hearing loss. not good.

i guess we all have a small tube connecting our nose/sinuses to our ears. my tubey is draining into my ear. into a perfect breeding ground to get infected - which is why i've been getting so many infections. apparently this is caused by my hayfever/allergies.

the doctor did give me a bunch of medicine. and he told me to take the 3 meds now, but only as long as my ear is hurting, but then to shelve them & save them for next time. oh yay, there will be a next time. the three meds: a high dose of mucinex, sudafed & a nasal spray. said nasal spray cost $80. i almost cried when the pharmacist told me that. and an hour and a half after i took my dosages, i was out like a rock. so bad that while garrett was playing wii, i decided i needed to go to bed. off i went, without even a goodnight kiss. and no, i don't remember him leaving.

this makes school a little crazy today. my head is finally out of the migraine cloud, but i do have a lovely headache. and my body is tired. i feel like i'm dead weight. i feel like i'm a giant tower just waiting to collapse on some poor child.

the 4th med: a steroid. that i have to take in decreasing portions for the next 6 days. when he said he was going to give me a steroid, my eyes got all big - cause i'm doing p90x. i'm already worried enough about turning into a muscle woman (not really, but i don't want to bulk up, i want to tone & downsize my fat) i asked if i needed to not lift weights, etc. he laughed at me a little (jerkass, thanks madeline) and assured me i wouldn't turn into a body builder looking woman.

hopefully i survive the next few days without any more migraines, without too upset a stomach, and without falling asleep while i'm teaching. and hopefully my ears stop hurting, too. oh, and hopefully no more medical emergencies for the rest of the month, because after the co-pay and $100 worth of prescriptions, i'm kinda drained til next month.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Feel better! Don't worry about being too sleepy either, because if the steroid affects you like it affects me, you'll be cleaning out closets and vacuming in the wee hours of the morning with all the excess energy! Enjoy the speed in a bottle:)

Heather said...

Watch out with the exercising Hayley, you don't want to bulk up!!! LOL I'd be up all night too I'm sure of it.

Holly O. said...

You crack me up with the roids.

tara said...

dude. how are the roids going? wired yet? those things SUCK with a capital S!

happy halloween hayley:)

Melissa said...

Oh joy...hope you get feeling better soon!!!

Tiburon said...

I hope you are feeling better! :)