8.03.2008

most embarrassing sacrament meeting EVER

long story as to why - but this morning garrett and i decided to go to church with krystal. it will never happen again, after the events i'm about to share. i almost got up and walked out at one point.

so we're sitting there on our little side row pew & the meeting starts. (don't forget that garrett makes me laugh. so much. uncontrollably at times.) well - we start singing a hymn & garrett sings LOUD. and he sings parts. and the hymn we were singing had fancy parts in it. the first verse i just nudged and or elbowed him to pipe down. i was a lil' giggly, but maintained composure. i don't think he even knew what i was nudging him about (oblivious much?)

keep in mind here that i know i don't have a good voice. i'm not a loud singer unless i'm alone in my car. he apparently does & enjoys sharing his talents with the WHOLE CONGREGATION. as a child, i used to have hateful thoughts for the loud singers in church and would constantly make fun of my mother when i felt she was singing too loudly. so - a little warning about his love for singing might've helped.

so - when i start covering up the page so he can't see, he steps it up a notch. louder singing & fancier parts. yes, he threw a few extra in there! we both start laughing. and laughing. and laughing. and keep in mind that there are people around us & that its quite obvious that he's laughing because he'd stop bellowing in the middle of words. so. we're still laughing & shaking and the song is over. sacrament prayer starts & seeing as how we're adults who know better, we try to knock it off. which only makes us laugh even more.

it didn't work. garrett then started doing soothing breathing techniques in the middle of the prayer & i about lost it. i snorted. while trying to contain my laughter. for the whole room to hear. (this is about when i wanted to get up and leave)

i wish i could say that the snort whipped us into shape, but it didn't. we laughed more. he couldn't look at me for the better part of the meeting. i had my head down & would just shake. i'm pretty sure that krystal hates me now. we definitely didn't stay for anymore meetings, as i was mortified. i will never go back to that ward, as i don't want to be known as the snorter.

at least now we're home where we can laugh ourselves silly & not be totally irreverent. i'm sorry dad, it wouldn't have been your proudest moment of me.

11 comments:

Mom said...

I'm thrilled to hear Garrett enjoys singing in church. He would like to sit next to me. We could entertain the whole congregation just the two of us with our loud voices. I can remember (and you still do) nudge me to quiet down when in church.
I say we should be able to sing as we darn well want to sing. I bet he does wonders with Silent Night. Amen

Jamie Harker said...

your mom is my newest fav mom because she ended the preach on singing w/ Amen. Well done!

Shelley said...

At least you didn't bark in church! It could have been worse! :) I don't think there's anything wrong with having a little fun at church!

Jori said...

Oh my goodness! I am SO loving this!

Krystal said...

I do not hate you Hayley. I enjoyed the entertainment. Garrett has a great voice! You can join me at church anytime nobody will remember or care it's a great ward. and ofcourse bring Garrett.

Sarah Young said...

Your lucky you didn't get pulled into the Bishops office for that kind of behavior! :)

Dad said...

Oh the shame of it...29 going on 14, sounds pretty fun to me! That's a 48% reduction, which if applied to me would make me about 32. If I went back to age 32 I would just have and a hairy lip and 3 little girls...my 4th wasn't even born yet and I guess we know who #4 is LOL!

Holly O. said...

Dad just used a LOL?!?!

Heather said...

I thought I commented, but maybe not, anyway...the day does sound oh so eventful. There is nothing like laughing when you shouldn't! Garrett is a singer huh? Maybe Mom and Garrett could do a duet sometime at church.

Melissa said...

This is when you know you are happy, when you are laughing and giggling and carrying on during sacrament...and you don't care what others think. Yeah!!! Happy is good.

Barb McLean said...

Hayley..saw you on Sarah's blog so I have been having fun "stalking" you! How I love the Jones Family! Ask your Mom about laughing at inappropriate times... let's just say I can't sit next to her in the temple.