7.21.2008

small world & facebook

so - months and months ago, my friend shelley told me to sign up for facebook. i did. i didn't get it though, so i didn't really do anything with it. every once in a while, i'd get an email saying that a friend added me. cool, whatever. then last week, i spent a couple hours looking for old friends. and i found a ton of people. it has been so fun getting emails back from people. its strange to talk to people that i've thought about over the years, but never would've expected to talk to them again...

side story - one of my childhood friends, lindsey, and i lost track of each other when i moved to hawaii. didn't mean to let it happen, but it just did. i've spent way more time than normal wondering about her for many years. (i often google her.) her parents have moved out my parents neighborhood, so i had no way of finding her.

so - last week, i find chrissie. she was a friend in high school who was always hysterical. there wasn't a dull moment with chrissie around. i was excited to reconnect with her. even more excited when she says "you have to email lindsey..." so of course, i practically ran out of the meeting i was in when i got said email from chrissie. of course, i emailed lindsey right away. i was shaking with excitement as i typed. i even squealed, i just couldn't contain my excitement.

so, yesterday lindsey calls me while she was in oregon for her husband's brother's wedding. too bad for me, i was in church "like a good little mormon girl" at the time so i was unable to answer my phone. i texted her quickly & said "can't talk now, later." and guess what? a little while later - she texts me and says "this is wierd, but by chance is your dad on a flight from portland to home right now?" well guess what? it was him! my parents were on the same flight as her. crazy!!! (they never connected. my parents were unaware until too late & lindsey couldn't catch up with them.) does that or does that not make for a small world?!?

so tonight, we finally got to talk. for an hour and a half. in so many ways, i felt like a kid again, and yet it was noticeable to me that lindsey has a grown up voice now. it was so fun to talk to her. she's married & has two little kids. part of me is so sad that i've missed so many big things in her life, but i'm so happy for her. i hope we stay in touch... and on a much more regular basis this time around. i have to admit, i'm still on a high right now & i'm pooped. its late & i've been missing out on sleep lately (not complaining, just noting) but i have to record this excitement.

this is why i like facebook... for reconnecting me with old friends. and for helping me find lindsey again.

10 comments:

brookey said...

tell her i said hi. who else have you happened upon?

Suzie said...

good shoutout for Facebook. The web can be such a great place.
Like when you meet a really amazingly cool, witty girl that likes Dr Pepper, loves her nephews and is dating a smart boy named Garrett.


Oh, and that girl was so totally missed at the blogger meetup tonight. Dang. wanted to see you.
NEXT TIME!

Shelley said...

Yay for Facebook! I likey! :D

Holly O. said...

I totally agree with you. Completely agree with you. I have reconnected with a few people I think about often but hadn't been in touch with since college. So happy you found Lindsey!

Hannah said...

Facebook is kind of a pointless program, but I have connected with some long lost friend too!

Heather said...

Well I'm glad you reconnected. That's fun!

Mom said...

A big Hi to Lindsey. Yes, it is a small world and I just wished I would have known she was on that aflight because I would have been looking for her.

buttercup said...

I don't really "get" facebook either, but I've been able to reconnect with a LOT of long lost friends through it.

Brittany said...

I love it when stuff like that happens!!! Fun!

Tiburon said...

That is fantastic! So glad you could reconnect :)