7.29.2008

2nd day of school

well, yesterday was actually a fabulous day. my new kids are good lil' guys. they're extremely low readers though, so i definitely have my work cut out for me. big gulp. but sweet, low readers are way easier to deal with than naughty buggers. so, i'm not complaining.

but these kids are so little still... they need to show me everything. they need to tell me everything. they need to be validated in a way that i'm just not good or patient enough to do. ha. i'm trying though. soon enough, i'll break their little souls. not really, hopefully. but i do need them to stop asking me if i think they should color something pink or purple. i really don't care. i'm just trying to keep them occupied so i can level them all. (by leveling, i don't mean beating them, i mean assessing where they are with reading, etc.)

i'm bound and determined to make this year fantastic. for the kids & for me. for me, that won't be easy - i don't have to rotate. staying in the same room all year long is heaven sent. for the kids, i just need to keep thinking of ways to get them learning.

6 comments:

Mom said...

You are such a good teacher. I would be so happy to have a child in your class. You will have them all reading at grade level before the end of the year.

Heather said...

They are always low (ish) when you get them and then you get them... they will be just fine. So glad they are naughty! At least they aren't yet, right?

tara said...

how was day two? is that when they let out the little inner demons?

Mindi said...

but does it smell like recess in there? i always have my hat off to you teachers--you have a gift.

Jan said...

Those kiddoes are so lucky to have you. You care so much about each of them and that's really the bottom line. When they know how much you care about them, they will listen and learn.

Melissa said...

I am sure you will have them up and reading in no time and soon enough they'll be able to decide if they should use purple or pink!!
Good for you...teachers rock!