6.07.2008

not dead yet

yesterday i felt like i was dying. i actually layed in my bed crying "is this what it feels like to die?" i realize now that it was a bit over dramatic, but i was in so much pain, and so sick, that i seriously didn't know what else was coming.

my throat hurts. bad. my glands are extremely tender. my fever has raged. my body has ached.

i put in a call back to the doctor *did i mention that i went on wednesday afternoon?! NO STREP OR EAR INFECTION!!! which is a bummer, cause i was positive i had at least an ear infection, if not both.* so i called yesterday to check the results of the non rapid strep test. still negative - so it turns out i really do just have a nasty virus. sucky thing about that is that they can't really give me anything. for sure, no antibiotic. but after i talked to the nice little nurse yesterday, she "could hear how miserable i was" they called me in some anti nausea w/ codeine. oh yeah, cause the lidocaine gel that they gave me makes me barf every time i gargle with it. (and on top of that, i've had on and off nausea for a week now, since i threw up last friday morning!) for some reason, i'm not a good gargle-er. never have been. i used to think that my dad just didn't like me when he made me gargle with salt water. (and yes, he has suggested i do it many times this week. and no, i haven't done it. cause when you're in chicago & i'm in utah, you can't make me!!!)

so i hit the target last night to pick up my phenegren-codeine. and of course ran into a pta lady from school. lovely. then i hit the sonic drive thru, cause a rootbeer float actually sounded good. and besides a few hot apple ciders & lots o' water, i hadn't eaten anything since lunch on thursday. and i'm not going to lie - that floatie was good!!! then i got home and took my first dose of the good stuff (phene-cod) and was out. woke up around 8 something cause i needed to tinkle. and called my parents one last time for the night. i don't remember what i was saying, but i do remember my dad said i sounded drunk. and i remember giggling like a school girl at that.

then i slept well for the whole night. woke up every four hours when my throat medicine wore off - to the searing pain of attempting to swallow and feeling like i was swallowing knives. drugged up & hit the sack again. and slept for another four hours.

the doctor told me that if i'm not feeling better by tomorrow i need to come back in and be seen. not sure how i feel about that. i don't want to spend another $35 on a co-pay for them to tell me there's nothing they can do for me. but then again, i start back on track with my own kids on monday & i NEED to feel better for that. 3 days of bed rest is all good and fun, but it can't go on forever.

and i'm happy to report this morning that the body aches and pains are better. that's it though. throat, ears, glands - still miserable. but at least now i can sleep when i want to. ;)

12 comments:

Emily J. said...

Oh Hayley, I'm sorry. This has hit both my kids and now my husband, I have this terrible feeling I'm next. I hope you recover quickly and don't have to go back to the DR!

Kristin Jones said...

YIKES!! I'm sorry that you're feeling so crappy. Hang in there, and I hope you feel better soon. Maybe some DP??

Suzie said...

When I hear about you being sick my motherly instincts kick in and I want to rush over, put a washcloth on your face, make you some soup & watch a movie with you.

{hugs}

Heather said...

Glad to hear you haven't passed on...seriously when is this crud going to get on out of your life? I'll call you later. I'm glad the meds made you a little more comfy anyway. I used to hate the salt water gargle, but I do it now...on my own! It does help, but I don't barf when I do it...well only if I swallow it.

Mom said...

I'm waiting to hear you are feeling much better.

Jori said...

Kids are SUCH carrier monkeys! What are they doing loading you up with viruses?? Hope you feel better soon.

Jan said...

I had a truly terrible sore throat back in early March (right after Disneyland) and got the same stuff you did - no strep, no meds, just deal with it. I'm so sorry! Wish I could actually DO something to help. Sleep, sleep, sleep.

Melissa said...

You should go back in if you are not feeling better...that doesn't sound right. But I'm glad they could give you some drugs to help with the sleep.

100 Percent Cottam said...

cripes! i'm hoping your feeling better by now.

i've been thinking of you - i have the squirts...

Tiburon said...

I hope you are feeling better Pookie. I hope day 1 back goes well too :)

I just noticed that my June calendar is lacking plans with Hayley.

Christie said...

Sorry you've been feeling so sick. But there's nothing better than some good meds to help you sleep it all away. Hope you're better in time for school.

Kristi said...

Holy crap Hayley!! I am so sorry you have been so friggin sick!!! Sheesh, I am so glad to hear you are finally better. Dude, no more getting sick for you!!! That's fo sho.