5.25.2008

Escape

This is the book that I mentioned last week that I wanted to read, instead of the book I should be reading. Escape by Carolyn Jessop.

Interesting, to say the least. I grew up LDS, but not in Utah. When people used to tease me about how "Mormon's are polygamists" I used to fight back with not anymore. I thought they were just ignorant about my religion and was done with that. I didn't realize that there were still people - not in my religion anymore - but in a fundamentalist sect that still had a lot of similarities to my church.

Since living in Utah, I have had many experiences with seeing polygs in stores, especially Costco and other wholesale type places. I know its rude, but I truly can't help but stare. I just don't get it.

So with the recent YFZ ranch mediaextravaganza, I was kinda sucked back into my curious facination with this group of people. I had heard about Carolyn Jessop on the local news, but I hadn't paid much attention to her book. But I got it from the library a few weeks ago & kept looking at it, wanting to read it. So when I finished my last book, especially not really wanting to read the book that I should be reading, I picked it up. Finished it in maybe 4 days. It was facinating, creepy and intoxicating.

The most surprising thing to me is this: the fundamentalists drink alcohol and coffee. Their sect broke off from my church before the Word of Wisdom was strictly enforced. Crazy! For people who are so extreme and look like they belong in a time dating back about 200 years, they're getting drunk and hopping up on their morning caffeine fix. There were many backwards things about the book, but this was the most shocking. So, if you are looking for something interesting, I recommend. Just be prepared to want to vomit, often - as there are many disturbing things in the book.

10 comments:

kristi lee said...

Thanks for the suggestion. . .this stuff puzzles and yet fascinates me at the same time. I don't know how they do it. . .I'm way to jealous of a person to ever think about sharing the ol' hubby.

Emily J. said...

Such weird stuff. That is mind boggling that they don't follow the Word of Wisdom. I'm not sure I could read the book though.

Jori said...

I didn't know they didn't keep the W.O.W. Crazy! We had tons of polygs in my highschool. There was also a creepy polygy house and the windows were boarded up and they hardly ever came outside. I don't even want to think about what was going on in there.

Brittany said...

I am reading Escape right now for book club. I have to keep reminding myself that all this happened so recently. One of the girls in my book club grew up in a polygamist household. Her family got out of it and she is now a doctor. Should be a fascinating discussion.

Holly O. said...

This is wacky stuff. I didn't know they drank booze either. They shop on Sundays too.

Jan said...

I just finished that one as well. And when I was at Costco, I saw another one by a former polyamist wife that I think I want to read too. You get the idea that they just make up their own rules for whatever works for them at the time. Weird stuff.

Melissa said...

I really don't understand it...I mean I've heard them interviewed on Oprah (more than one show), see them around at Wal-Mart, but I just don't get it. Who wants to live this way...I think they are brain warped.

Tiburon said...

Can I borrow when you are done? I am totally intrigued. It is like a car wreck - I just gotta looK!

Heather said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heather said...

Yuck! Just don't get me started on his one :)I MIGHT have to check that one out, but I don't know...