4.15.2008

scholiosis & other bad news

i had my monthly massage last night. i'll admit this massage wasn't the most relaxing, in fact, we talked through a great deal of the massage. and i wasn't even closed eyed. (is that how you say it?) i told my therapist about the shoulder problems, the numb & twitchy hands... she really focused on that area. she did some stretches, she did some very localized massages, including one muscle that she got to through my arm pit. i was so thankful that i shave my pitters everyday :) the bottom line is this: she thinks this is all a result of my scoliosis (curvature of the spine for you nimrods) and my bad bed. She said that these muscles will always be sensitive to discomfort, and as I get older, I'll need to keep them in better shape. (I'm pretty sure that was her polite way of telling me, I should've already been doing that.) She reassured me that a new mattress, that isn't a taco will definitely help. Then, after my massage, she showed me a bunch of stretches I can do to help improve these muscles. (she says the numbness and twitching is probably from a pinched nerve. pinched because the muscles are tight. muscles are tight because i've got a question mark for a back) anyways. it was a very theraputic session. i'm a little tender today, in areas like my collarbone & armpit that she was working, that haven't been worked before. but it was great. totally worth lacking a little of the "relaxing" part of a typical massage.

the bad news is that she's not going to be working there anymore. she's going to start working at a chiropractor's office. i'm bummed. she's been wonderful. but if its a step up in the world, i'm happy for her. so, now i'm just going to have to keep my fingers crossed that my next masseuse is as attentive & good.

10 comments:

Jori said...

Thank you so much for saying nimrod. That just made me laugh and laugh. Glad the taco bed is almost outta there.

Jan said...

You really got lucky with the massage therapist - she sounds like she knew her stuff. And I"m sure you're on a countdown to the new bed's arrival!

100 Percent Cottam said...

oh, that's great!!! with the help and stretches and all. sucks that she won't be there anymore, but hopefully your new person will be excellent, too.

Mia said...

Oh a monthly massage! A massage envy membership is totally going on my next wish list (can I make one for the 4th of July).

Suzie said...

wow. I'm relieved it's just that. I heard on the news this week about the marijuana twitch and hoped that wasn't the prob.

my sis has scoliosis and massage/chiropracty/good bed works wonders.

Kami said...

That new bed will be a great help.

Girl James said...

I would ask her to recommend you to a GOOD therapist in your Massage Envy place. Usually they've all rubbed each other down, or she has a good feel for if they're good or not. She knows.

Shelley said...

Can't you follow her to the chiro office? A good masseuse and a good hair stylist are hard to find! I still need to find me a masseuse. I'd go every week if I could afford it! I have back pain galore! :(

Tiburon said...

I hate it when you find a good person somewhere and they up and leave you! I hope the new bed does the trick.

Mom said...

So glad she showed you some good stretches. I hate to admit it but when I get lazy on the knee exercises and it starts to hurt again I can control it if I go back to the stretches, etc. Humm... Where have I heard that before. Maybe Heather... Call her and ask her for a recommendation before she leaves.