4.09.2008

mattress advice?

i'm in need of a new mattress. my mattress was given to me when i moved here. it was big & it was free. i took it. (it was also almost brand new, from people that i knew and trusted) over the years, as my heiny has gotten bigger, its obviously made quite the impression in my mattress. ha. you sink like a penny in the toilet in that guy. i've always known for my poor back, i deserved a better one. over the years, depending on how i sleep/sink, i will wake up with numb arms. i caved a few months ago & bought a foam mattress topper. and while foamy is fun, its not fixing the sinking. it really was a temporary fix. lately, i've had lots of wierd things happening. muscles twitching way more than normal. like an almost constant eye twitch. and - oddly enough, two different spots on the ol' keister have been twitching, too. then i have been having wierd nerve pain & twitching in my hands... most noticably at night when i'm in bed, trying to read. its gotta be the way i'm sinking in my mattress, or else i'm scared that i've got a nerve problem. here's the thing... besides the fact that i know i have a queen, i don't know much else about what i would need... don't get me wrong, i'll start investigating - but does anyone have any wonderful ideas, suggestions, or advice? especially about where to shop in the SLC area? be specific, puh-lease! i need all the help i can get!

10 comments:

Holly O. said...

I know the price was right on that thing, but honey...it is the most UNCOMFORTABLE bed I have EVER been on. Sorry. I don't know how you made it this many years with that thing. Be warned though, a new mattress will set you back thousands of dollars.

tara said...

um. Try costco. They have GREAT mattresses that you won't have sell your body to afford. (and you TOTALLY could:))

DON'T get a giant pillow top. you'll just get more holes. I hate our (super expensive!!!) mattress right now for the same reason.

Heather said...

Ooohh, I love my pillow topper. I've had it hmmmm could it be almost 9 years??? NO! Maybe it's 6, anyway, I treated myself to a new mattress after a baby (I thought it was Hannah) time sure flies. Shoot fire, I might be in the mattress bizzz sooner than I'd like. Crap. Jennifer just got a new mattress, I'll ask her about her findings. More later.

Red Bed Head said...

I heard you can stick a 4' x 8' sheet of plywood between the mattress and boxsprings to firm it up, but I've never tried it. When my back didn't stop hurting after Oliver was born we gave in and bought a Temperpedic ($$$$ after 3 babies and 6 years of marriage we decided it was time for our own bed, not a hand me down), I LOVE IT! My arms still go numb occasionally, but it's a major exception instead of the rule. Good Luck to you!

Jori said...

I like the Simmons Beauty Rest Pillow. I had a queen size when I was single, after we got married we bought a king so we had "room to groove" heheehee Bought them both at R.C. Willey.

PS-The sinking like a penny thing CRACKED me up!

Jori said...

I meant pillow top sorry I'm special.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i have zero help for you. except good luck!

Mia said...

I have been lurking for a while and thought I would share my 2 cents worth. I have the memory foam mattress from Costco. I have a joint condition and this mattress has totally made a difference. I love it and it is about a tenth of the price of a tempur pedic. Good luck finding one that works for you :)

Hayley said...

thanks everyone for the advice. i'm so bed ignorant. i went to sears today. sat on a bunch of beds, no one came to talk to me. no good. and i also went to "my comfort" where they have the intelli gel. momma likey. plus, they will finance & deliver. which is going to be a "must do" for me. my lil' altima won't be trucking a queen sized mattress home. and the benefits for bad backers & jointey peeps are tremendous. plus - their warrenty. who knows. more shopping this weekend!!!

Jennifer said...

Hayley:

I agree that Sears doesn't rock on the customer service. We just went with them because I had already researched the crud out of it and I knew which one I wanted and they delivered it to my door and set it up. I'm all for that! Like I told Heather, I went for a combo of coils and foam because I was afraid to leave the traditional, but if I had to do it all over, I would go all foam. My back is so much happier. Good luck. It is stressful to shop for something you spend half of your life on!