4.05.2008

conference comforts

well - we're only a half hour into conference and i've already cried off my makeup. i'm so thankful that conference is this weekend. i think i really needed a little spiritual pick me up.

suzie asked what our favorite thing about conference is... mine - is not having to go to the schaumburg stake center for the whole weekend (it seemed like, at least) i love being able to sit here, on my couch watching and maybe folding laundry, but at least listening. as a child, i was always too focused on what old guy was head bobbing, or which of my parents had the staler breath (don't worry, neddie - dad won almost always)

so far, i'm reminded how much i love Gordon B. Hinkley, but also Thomas S. Monson. I'm also reminded how thankful I am that I was born into the family that I was. My parents have served and exemplified, and we learn best by watching - not just by being told. I'm also so thankful for the opportunity I have to repent.

13 comments:

Dad said...

Well, Neddie gave me some gum and during the song I'm going to the boy's room to rinse out my stale mouth. By the way, we're going to the Buffalo chicken wing place for lunch.

100 Percent Cottam said...

it has been a wonderful conference already! i was folding laundry, too. i call saturday "working conference". sunday is chillin' conference.

Jori said...

I dig your parents Hayley! Anyway you are right it's been great. I loved that they had all of us stand. It made me bawl to think of members all over the world standing to sustain the new prophet.

Heather said...

It was a great session. I liked how they had us stand too Jori! I said to Scott, "is it just me or has President Monson changed?" You could just TELL he was the prophet. So cool!

Heather said...

Wait, is Dad using his blackberry during conference? haha Funny Dad!

Kristi said...

Amen Hayley!! I am loving today and I love that President Monson...it is a great Conference. :)

Jan said...

I loved the Solemn Assembly -- I had forgotten exactly how that was done (it's been a while!). Loved it all.

Suzie said...

you are such a sassy softie with a HUGE heart. good thing you are a teacher.
I can't remember feeling so good after Saturday conference. I feel like shouting from the top of a mountain how grateful I am for this church, a living Prophet and the truth that we have been blessed with.

HALLELUIAH! (why can't the comment section have spell check?)

Mom said...

I loved today's conference and I thought the music was extra special. Elder Oaks continues to give talks that go down in history.

Christina said...

I agree- I had already cried and cried starting with the opening song and then the opening prayer. Glad to know I wasn't the only one. :)

tara said...

dang. I missed the first session. BUM-ER!!! I did love the rest though. I agree with Heather, Pres. Monson definately has a different light about him. I love it:)

Tiburon said...

Loved conference. it was just what I needed :)

Melissa said...

Sitting in the Schaumburg stake brings back many memories from my childhood!! Boy am I glad I can watch at home in my jammies!