4.24.2008

"almost only counts...

in horseshoes & hand grenades." i've heard that all my life from my dad, whenever i told him i almost did something. today - very randomly, one of my kids told me that he almost passed off his +4 math fact timed test. i repeated, without thinking, "almost only counts in horseshoes & hand grenades." he looked at me funny. i paused for a minute & said, "good job, though." then i walked on. and burst out laughing. it just cracked me up. i didn't think about it, it just came out. i love becoming my parents. saying the silly things (or highly meaningful) that they've always said to me. i'm just glad i have the parents that i do. thanks again mom and dad. i love you.

9 comments:

Jan said...

I love it that you love becoming your parents -- I know that I'm doing the same. It's funny to hear stuff come out of my mouth that I heard from theirs for so long.

Mia said...

I too become more like my parents every day, only the good parts of course ;)

Tiburon said...

Awww that was a favorite of my parents. Although my mothers all time most used phrase is:

If you are looking for sympathy you will find it in the dictionary between "sh!t" and "syphilis".

Don't go reusing that one on the kiddies though. ;)

Jori said...

Heehee! You are too cute. Isn't it hilarious when parentism's pop out. I said "Piss up a rope" the other day and couldn't believe it came out. That is so one of my dad's sayings.

Christina said...

I totally relate to this. You should hear some of the dorky things I say. And when I was in front of a class full of kiddos, it was even dorkier/funnier.

100 Percent Cottam said...

yoyo! becoming my parents is one of my great pleasures! :)

Mom said...

That is exactly why I think we will know our ancestors when we meet them!!!! I'm sure this has gone on for many generations.

Kristi said...

I love those sayings you have,too, from your parents! That sayings a keeper...My Dad's was always, "I can't wait for tomorrow because I get better looking every day..." Nice, Dad...

Heather said...

So true so true. When I sit and chat with a perfect stranger in line, and must admit I have to smile and think of Mom! haha