2.20.2008

trying to enjoy the sunlight

"I come to you tonight with a plea that we stop seeking out the storms and enjoy more fully the sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we try to 'accentuate the positive.' I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment virtue and effort. Now I am not asking that all criticism be silenced. Growth comes of correction. Strength comes of repentance. Wise is the man or woman who can acknowledge mistakes pointed out by others and change his or her course.
"What I am suggesting is that you turn from the negativism that so permeates our modern society and look for the remarkable good among those with whom you associate, that we speak of one another's virtues more than we speak of one another's faults, that optimism replace pessimism, that our faith exceed our fears. When I was a young man and was prone to speak critically, my wise father would say: 'Cynics do not contribute. Skeptics do not create. Doubters do not achieve.' "
Topics: growth, optimism, faith

(Gordon B. Hinckley, "Be Not Afraid, Only Believe," CES Fireside for Young Adults, Sept. 9, 2001)

my friend Pam forwards me some of the lds gems that she gets. click here if you want to start getting these emails. this one kinda stuck out to me. spoke to me, if you will. firstly, cause it's from Gordon B. Hinkley. secondly, cause when i noticed the date - it was just 2 days before September 11, 2001. think about how much our world has changed. and just think about what he was saying. but also - because since then - not right then but more so in the last 2 years, i have become a cynic. a doubter. i know i have & when i can be big enough to admit, i'll also admit that i want to change. i don't want to be negative. i always admire positive people. people that don't sit around and complain all the time. cause at the same time, i write off complainers. they drag you down & i can't stand that. you see, cause even though there's a cynic near the surface of me, i want to be a contributor, i want to achieve. so here's to doing better. being more positive, doubting less, believing more.

13 comments:

Christina said...

Good thoughts today, Hayley. It's amazing to me how negativity breeds negativity, and a positive attitude can be equally contagious. I am usually a glass half full kinda' gal myself, but it's not hard to get bogged down and feel totally blah. I think another thing about it is that cynicism can seem so funny, when there's not a lot of humor in a positive attitude, but I think when everyone is done laughing, the cynic is not the happier person. Sheesh, sorry for the novel.

Suzie said...

amen to your great thoughts!

Mom said...

Beautiful thoughts. This kind of thinking could change the world.

Heather said...

I LOVE that!!!!! I sooooooo need that. Can you tell I am excited????!! haha. Really though, great post. I just might have to sign up fer' some good old lds gems. Thanks for the share Hay-ley.

tara said...

wow. you sound like Jan today...and that's a very good thing:)

I loved that, and may even sign up for the emsils (gasp).

Tiburon said...

Bravisimo! For the record I wouldn't use cynical to describe you though. Witty? yes. Gorgeous? you betcha! Smart, charming and fantastic? oh yeah!

Great thoughts! :)

Emily J. said...

Yay!For trying. I'm a know pessimst. So this quote really spoke to me thanks for sharing.

100 Percent Cottam said...

awesome post, hayley! i totally agree. one of my favorite quotes says something like "i'm an optimist. because i just don't see the point of being anything else." negativity is my pet peeve and i try to avoid it whenever i can. thanks for that awesome quote!!!

Tripp Family said...

Thatnks for that... it's something I struggle with sometimes, too.

Jan said...

Great quote -- it's so easy to be negative but I always have to remind myself that it is one of Satan's greatest tools. And I do NOT want to make things easy for him, that's for sure. But it has to be conscious on my part - I find it easy to fall into the negativity.

Kristi said...

I love that quote, Hayley! And man, did I need this.

Kristi said...

I love that quote, Hayley! And man, did I need this.

Jori said...

Fabulous post Hayley!!!