1.14.2008

stroke of genius - or retardation. you decide

this weekend, in my craze of house cleaning, i came across the manual for my treadmill. hadn't seen it for a while. being the smartie pants that i am, i looked into the heart rate monitor section. duh!!! it really helps when you know what you're inputting, as far as the numbers go. when i was supposed to be inputting my age, i was putting what i thought was my minimum heart rate. no - i'm not 100. and when i was supposed to be inputting my weight, i thought it was the amount of calories i wanted to burn that workout. no, i don't weight 400 pounds. close but not quite.

needless to say, in my workout tonight - i wasn't burning 700 calories. shoot! but it does make me feel better to have it all figured out! hey - you learn something everyday!

10 comments:

Mom said...

You are up late. Glad you figured it all out. I like the fact that things now matter about our workout that we never even thought of before.

Jori said...

Good job reading the manual. I am too lazy to do stuff like that.

Shelley said...

I'll say its a stroke of genius... It's excellent to get that stuff figured out. :) Nice work!

100 Percent Cottam said...

ooh, that crackes me up! i love that your treadmill thought you were a 400 pound 100 year old. hee hee.

Holly O. said...

Glad you got it figured out! The heartrate monitor is my best friend these days!

Heather said...

I didn't think you were, but hey...you never know :)

tara said...

400 lb geriatric....on a treadmill? Not likely. You made me laugh Hayley. Glad you got that all ironed out:)

Emily said...

I always just press buttons and hope things work.

Jan said...

I"m with Emily -- my theory is that if you push all the buttons at least once, it should work. Right?? Sigh.

Christie said...

A good way to count calories on the treadmill is 1 mile = 100 calories. That formula works for a 150 pound person, so if you're more or less then you can make a small adjustment.