1.06.2008

spiritual hayley

I know sometimes I have a bad attitude about things. church especially. And I know that I often don't like to talk about churchy things, cause I don't want to seem like a swearing hypocrite. But - in all reality, I do love the gospel & feel best about my life when I'm doing the right things.

One of my previously personally set but not talked about goals was to get to my ward, if not every Sunday, at least the ones I'm in town. This may mean that sometimes this year, I'll be attending 6 hours of church - as Heidi's and my ward times don't conflict at all now. So if I have a child's program to go see, it'll be a whole hour after my church is finished. No excuses, right?! Well, today I went to my ward. It was so much easier when I ran into my friend Pam & her husband, Chris. They sat by me. They let me stick to them like white on rice for the whole block. During church today, I kept thinking - this is good. Good for me to be here, even if slightly uncomfortable. I got the new manuals today & am excited about the things we'll be studying this year. I even set yet another "spiritual" goal for myself - and that is - wait for it - (can't help it. i heart barney, still) I'm going to study my lessons during the week so that I make it to RS and SS well prepared. Don't worry, I'll still never raise my hand and share a thought or two - but I will get more out of it, personally.

And - what better way to study than during my own personal little FHE at least one night a week. Yep, that's right people. I'm intending to set one evening aside for myself where I don't go to dinner (especially not til after april 1) or go see a movie or just sit and home and watch dvds of arrested development/how i met your mother (because when oh when is that blasted strike going to end? at this point - why am i paying for a dvr?!?) - but instead, i'm going to read the ensign. or next week's lessons. or just my good ol' scriptures. imagine that.

I'm spouting all of this off right now for a few reasons. a) to hold myself responsible so that when someone says "how's that going?" i have to answer back. 2) because i'm ready to admit that at this point in my life - setting goals of losing weight and gaining spiritual enlightenment are so much easier than worrying about if i'll date someone this month. or year.

9 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

spiritual hayley makes me so happy. that's awesome. reading the ensign & the lessons are among my new year's resolutions, too. and i, too, feel so much better when i'm making time for the important stuff and doing what i'm supposed to do. good stuff, spiritual hayley!

Heather said...

Good for you Hayley. I do need a little more work in that area of my life. Tomorrow I'm thinking of holding a special FHE to talk about goals for the new year. Even though I don't like "new year's resolutions". We can always use a little spiritual lift over here.

Holly O. said...

I need to do FHE. I really do. Kevin or no Kevin, I need to make time for it. I prefer SAM, but we'll see.

Jori said...

I seriously love you! Coolest girl ever! You are so smart and I'm tellin' ya the more you work on yourself and make yourself happy everything else falls into place.

Mom said...

You made this mom very happy with that blog. Keep up the good work.
I'm proud of you.

Jan said...

You're awesome. You really are. Your comment about feeling better about yourself when you're doing the thing you know you should really hit home for me too -- I need to improve too. Thanks, Hayley.

tara said...

you kick A hayley. Well, in light of this uplifting post let me rephrase that...you "rock" hayley. Such a well-rounded girl:)

Emily said...

My goal is to actually hold FHE twice a month. I suck at it. I loved reading your insights. I still don't go to sunday school unless Spence is with me.

Kristi said...

You are awesome, Hayley. Seriously. I love when you get all churchy :)