1.09.2008

slight dilemna

hokay... so i finally figured out what/where i think my heart rate should be. i haven't gone and gotten one of those fancy schmancy "map tests" cause lets face it - i'm a teacher. in utah. so i typically save my small amounts of money for: toilet paper, milk & a few other frivolous purchases. one such purchase was my treadmill last year. and boy oh boy, i'm i loving it right now. i get to tread in my own privacy, where i know its only been used by me, can take my shirt off when i'm getting sweaty (which conveniently saves me from needing a hand towel/sweat towel) and, now this is my favorite part, i can watch whatever i want to while i'm doing it. that part rocks.

keep in mind that my treader has a built in heart rate monitor thingy. with a strap, for under my boobies. i figured that out this week. and have been doing workouts (from a lovely feature on said treadie) that work with my heart rate. so i tell it i want to work at 140, for example. Treadie speeds up and inclines according to my heart rate. Also slows down accordingly. Now - I'm digging that guy!

But here's the thing. Tonight I walked/jogged for an hour. a little more than 3 miles. Treadie said I burned 715 calories. But when I go to log 60 minutes of 3 miles per hour on the daily plate, it says I only burned 385 calories. what the...? What do I do to accurately track my burnage? Do I go in and manually say that I burned 700 or do I leave it at that & just know deep down in side that I'm really doing more than daily plate is giving me credit for, which in the long run will do nothing but help my weight loss dreams?

also - as of this morning... I'm down 4 pounds. I know - its probably all just water weight, or whatever. But you know what? I have any kind of weight to lose, I'm not picky. And for someone who's never been careful about what she eats & who's never really routinely worked out, this is nothing if not motivating!!! and go figure - i'm enjoying it. maybe even looking forward to it! who'd a guessed. maybe i am heather's sister after all :)

10 comments:

Mom said...

You lost me on the calories burned but I'm so happy you are enjoying your treadmill. It is nice to have it at home and you can do "whatever" you need to do while working out.

100 Percent Cottam said...

4 pounds! rock on, sister. i'd go in and change it manually, because i like credit.

Holly O. said...

I think your heart rate monitor is WAY more accurate than a random number of Daily Plate. Seriously. Especially if is the band heart rate monitor. Yippee!!! And yes, it is addictive, isn't it? Exercise and keeping track, I mean.

Kristi said...

Way to go Hayley!! 4 lbs is awesome--and I'm with Holly: trust the Heart Rate monitor! That is awesome you burned 700+ calories in an hour.

Melissa said...

So glad you are seeing a difference...keep up the good work!

Jori said...

I agree with Holly, go with what your treadmill says. I think D.P. is off on some things when I ride my bike for 60 minutes it says I burn 550 calories d.p. says 1,113 I don't think there is anyway I am burning that many so I just enter I rode for 30 minutes to get the right calories. Also you crack me up I love how the Jones girls always add "er's" ore "ie" or whatever to the end of words. You guys are cute! Anyway your treadmill sounds sweet I like how it adjusts automatically. Nice.

Tiburon said...

You should use your heart rate monitor. I have a watch it is dead on balls accurate (it's an industry term - if you have seen My Cousin Vinny) but seriously... 700 calories in a hour on the treadmill is way more believable than 385. I burned 385 in an hour weight training this morning. You burn calories based on what your heart rate does doing the workout - the higher it goes the more calories you burn. The fitter you get the less calories you will burn because your heart is getting more in shape. So go with the monitor :)

Kristin said...

You're a machine! Keep it up!!

Jan said...

Yay for you!! When I was a fat mama, I charted my weight loss in cans of Crisco -- so you have now lost 1 1/3 can of Crisco which is amazing. Keep going!

Heather said...

Both numbers seem a little off to me, but that's just me. I don't think you burned 700, but 300 + sounds too low.