1.28.2008

learning more about President Hinkley

Last night, before I fell asleep, I found out that they were going to run a special on President Hinckley's life. I knew I wouldn't be staying up til 11:30, since I was quite tired, so I ran and set my dvr. I'm so thankful I did. I just got off the treadmill & I watched the special while walking. There were a few times where I was crying so hard, I couldn't walk. I was so touched. I love this man. Above all, he was an excellent example to us, to me.

I've learned things about him that I wish I could say I knew before, but I didn't. Maybe at one point I knew some of these things, but tonight I was reminded. I'd like to share some of the sweet things I learned tonight.
  • I didn't know that his mother passed away while he was in college. She was only 50. He went through something I've often thought about & wondered how I'd survive. It makes me appreciate him, all the more, knowing that he endured that test.
  • When he went on his mission, it was not a common thing. The Depression was happening. Right before he left, he found out that his bank and lost all of his money. His dad said he'd help, his brother contributed his earnings to help pay for his mission, and they found money that his mother had stashed away, all change. He considered that money sacred.
  • Jori posted about this story today, and I loved watching him talk about it tonight, in the special. He wrote home to his father, on his mission, feeling like he wasn't doing enough, wasting time. His father wrote back and said, "Forget yourself and go to work." I want to apply that statement to my life. I need to forget myself more. I need to just go to work more. I loved thinking about that young man hearing it from his father & then doing it.
  • Upon returning home from his mission in England, he said that he had no desire to ever travel again. Which is ironic, because he was the most traveled leader our church has ever seen. He started traveling immediately, as his responsibilities increased.
  • I guess something that touched me was that he was a young man when he started being this amazing leader. He was in his 20's, serving in great capacities in our church. He was given such responsibility at a young age. When I think about where I am, what I could be doing, I know I'm not doing enough. He's given me a newfound motivation to serve more.
  • When he was first called to be President of our church, his first international trip was to England. During that trip, he met with an old missionary companion. I loved watching footage, as those old men sat there and teased each other about life, living, growing old, etc. I loved watching them hug their goodbyes emotionally.
These specials made me want to read up on this great man. Here are the books I have on my bookshelf. Way to Be!, One Bright Shining Hope, Small and Simple Things (by Sister Hinckley) & Stand a Little Taller. I'm going to get that book by my bedside and read the daily excerpts from it. I am putting the other ones on my coffee table. I also put Go Forward With Faith on hold from the library. Oh & Standing for Something, put that on hold, too. Does anyone else have any spectacular book choices for me on President Hinckley's life? I want them! (I should just go buy these books, but for a time, I'll get them from the library)

I love this picture of President Hinckley "knighting" Elder Eyring.

So, lets go people, lets all stand a little taller - lets forget ourselves and get to work.

12 comments:

Kristi said...

Hayley, thank you for sharing these stories. It really just makes him all that more amazing to me reading this. I will miss him. And that sense of humor of his--he was one of a kind.

100 Percent Cottam said...

so fabulous! he was such an amazing man, and touched so many lives.

Jori said...

Hayley, you are such a great girl! I just love you. All of those books are awesome. Teachings of Gordon B. Hinkley is also fantastic. Here is the link http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=3367879

Jori said...

Letters by Sister Hinkley is also completely wonderful. http://deseretbook.com/store/product?sku=4915176

Hayley said...

thanks jori! i knew you'd have a couple up your sleeve!!!

Jan said...

Loved the info on Pres. Hinckley -- that may be what we do in Sharing Time on Sunday. Thank you!

Jori said...

Glimpses by Sister Hinkley is good(I keep walking past my book case.:)

Heather said...

Good book selections. I love what you had to say about President Hinckley too. He did make me want to stand a little taller. Love that about "forget yourself and get to work"! Thanks Hay.

Mom said...

I agree that we can all stand a little taller. He made me want to do more. I could go to the temple more and I plan on doing just that.
Thanks for your reminder and inspiration.

Schagel Family said...

I wish I had seen the special. I did not know it was on. Thank you so much for sharing those wonderful moments in his life.

Holly O. said...

The Story of the Walnut Tree. So good, not by him, but about him!

tara said...

good insights hayley. I'm reading Stand for Something right now too. It makes me teary at some points. you can just IMAGINE him saying these things.