1.25.2008

happy feet

no, this isn't going to be a post about my love for the penguin movie. (they killed it with their last half hour of political guilt) even though, yes, i do love penguins. this is a post about something i thought about this morning, while walking around the playground.

each week at my school, the grade levels rotate through morning and afternoon playground duty. this bitterly cold week is ours. but even still, i spend only a half hour of my day outside, walking around. walking around getting fresher air. time spent outside that i normally wouldn't spend at this time of year. i really don't mind the outside duty and let me tell you why: its a chance to see kids. old kids that i taught in years past, who come running up saying "hi miss jones!" and kids that i always thought, "you'll be a disaster" and then, cynically seeing them and realizing how smart i am.

i've always loved footprints either in snow or sand. for some strange reason they've always fascinated me. especially because i detest feet, in general. but i love footprints, they symbolize the journey that life is to me.
i had a moment yesterday after school with another teacher. we both vented some frustrations. we talked about how sometimes this job is so overwhelming, underpaid and unappreciated. then we sat for a minute and both of us said, "but i love it" and i do. i love teaching. sometimes its hard (ok, almost always) but its so worth the challenge. its worth the few rewards that we, as teachers, get.

so this morning, as i was out walking, i kept smiling as i was walking around the playground. it was cold, so i had my hood up & mostly had my head down. i was tickled by the footprints in the new snow from yesterday's storm. so many of those kids have bigger feet than me. some of these kids are even taller than me. and yet, i'm one of their adults in life who will always look out for them. i may not always be nice, but i try to be fair & i try to teach them. i hope i'm doing it right.

oh and that picture - it comes from the top of Mauna Kea, a volcano on the big island of Hawaii. bringing my love of sand (hawaii) and snow together. ahhhhh

10 comments:

Emily said...

That was a lovely thought. I am glad to know that there are teachers who even though under paid still love thier job. It gives me hope for the kind of teachers that my kids could get.

Heather said...

I am glad you love your job! Those little kids are lucky to have you.

Jori said...

I agree the kids are lucky to have you. I would love it if you were Kaitlin's teacher.

PS-Thanks for not posting about Happy Feet, that movie sucked.

tara said...

It's great that you can find joy and fulfillment in a job that can be so thankless at time. You are awesome Hayley. Great thoughts today.

Heather said...

You are up to 10 pounds, good going sister.

Shelley said...

Nice picture, nice thought. :) I'm glad they've got you to look up to.

Jan said...

Loved your thoughts. I agree with you 100% -- teachers are the underpaid unsung heroes of everyday life. You are such a blessing to those kids -- and at some point, they will recognize it. What's nice is that you don't need to have them do it - you love your job and do it well no matter what.

Holly O. said...

You are a cutie patootie. Is that how to spell that?

Mom said...

Great thoughts. Gave me something to think about today.

100 Percent Cottam said...

you are so awesome! it's good for my heart to know that there are teachers like you out there.