1.04.2008

childhood memories

Jori's post got me all giddy about childhood memories. So I'm sitting here stewing a few of my favorite memories as a child.

*Sharing a room with Heather. Who would tell me stories at night to help me fall asleep, let me sleep with the closet light on if i was scared, and she would shout, "sit up!" if i was coughing in the night. ha. no really, she was a good sister to share a room with. many a times, when i was scared, she'd walk me into our parents room. i was always afraid of the monsters watching me at the bottom of the stairs.

*My cabbage patch dolls. Mona Maud. Morty. Freda. I miss those dolls. Mom - I hope they're still in one of my boxes in the attic. I loved playing with my dolls. I love playing dolls - yes, to this day - with Annie.

*Saturday early mornings with my dad. We'd watch cartoons & snuggle. Then he'd make a scrumptious breakfast for us. No one does breakfast like my daddy. My not so favorite part came shortly after breakfast. Saturday cleaning. ew.

*Disneyland trips with my family. The girls would wear our red jackets, so we wouldn't get lost. (back then, i had a partner at all times for any ride.) We'd go find that one staircase in New Orleans Square (I think!??) and take our pictures on it. I remember walking into the park with so much excitement, thinking that place was heaven on earth. I remember finally getting our Mint Juleps and thinking life was good.

*Traveling in our Sunday Best. We spent so many hours and days of our life sitting at airports, waiting to go to San Fransisco, Salt Lake - or wherever else our family was. Its no wonder I know how to pack. or that i hate unpacking still.

*Mom doing putting our hair in curlers on Saturday nights. So we'd be fancy for church. And so we would be good in church, so we didn't have to get taken out by my dad - who was always on the stand. You don't want to have your dad come down off the stand. to take you out & have to discipline you. you just don't. unless you're retarded.

*Holly and I used to make up nerdy songs & all kinds of things. Once we tape recorded our selves talking in goofy accents. Geeks! But we still laugh about those things.

*Cuddling with my momma. I mostly stopped by high school. seminary was brutal. but to this day - when i get a little time with neddy, i'm craving some cuddling.

I had a fabulous childhood. I have a wonderful life. I'm thankful for my sisters. I'm the luckiest girl in the world - because of my parents.

10 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

i loved my cabbage patch dolls, too. allison karlene was my first and best. and i too feel so lucky to have had such an amazing, safe childhood. that is such a blessing.

Holly O. said...

Good times. I can't believe me making bat sounds while we were in the tub didn't make the list.

Jan said...

I loved reading your memories -- those of us who had those safe, loving childhoods are so blessed.

Emily said...

I love cabbage patch dolls, such fun memories.

hunter said...

I like dolls too. I had (still have it's in a closet) Victoria Amelita. I still hate coughers!!!Good memories.

Mom said...

Heather still gets in your face if you are disturbing her with snoring or coughing at night. You mentioned some of my favorite memories, too. I especially liked the cuddling but you know when you wanted to play instead of sleep when you were little I would put you in your crib. Fun times....

Holly O. said...

Heather is ruining Hunter's street cred. I'm sure Hunter doesn't like dolls, that would be Heather posting comments signed in as Hunter.

Heather said...

Yeah, Hunter likes dolls too ;)! Too funny.

Tiburon said...

What a sweet tribute to your family :)
I hope that my kids feel about me the way that you feel about your mom and dad!

Jori said...

Awww very sweet. Sounds like you had a lovely childhood. I love my cabbage patches too. Kaitlin plays with my old dolls and has 3 of her own. I love that she likes what I like.