12.04.2007

and now... deep thoughts by hayley

today my goal in life is to seek pleasure. last night my bookclub discussed the book Eat Pray Love. and boy did i enjoy discussing it. don't get me wrong people - i don't see elizabeth gilbert as a spiritual guru, as oprah seems to do. i see her as a semi lunatic with an entertaining writing style. but i enjoyed the book. especially my one favorite passage - which i shared last night & had people nearly in tears at the similarities i see between me and her. (yes, i realize i'm admitting to my own semi-lunacy. bite me)

but we were talking about how americans don't have enough pleasure in their life. and i kept sitting there thinking "my whole life is pleasure!" ok. not my whole life. there are times when i'm down, or frustrated with life. there are times when i'm just in a routine and don't get a whole lot out of things.

but - the bottom line is - i love my job (says the girl in her 2nd day of a month's vacation) and find it rewarding and fulfilling on occassion. sure, its time consuming & underpaid. but those kids - they learn from me. i inspire them. they trust me. and i usually live up to deserving their trust. and there is nothing more exciting than when i see some little person come show me something that they've accomplished with blood, sweat and tears.

i also have family and friends who bring me pleasure on a daily basis. i think the key is finding pleasure in the little things. pleasure doesn't just come with a big cruise ship (although don't get me wrong, it does) but it comes with taking time to appreciate the small things. i find pleasure in being able to understand my nieces and nephews when few people in the world can. cause toddlerese is fairly difficult to get. or to be changing a baby's diaper & have them smiling so big at you that they shake with excitement. and somewhere that i've always found pleasure - taking a small moment to kiss the bottom of their feet during said diaper changing. you have to enjoy those little feet, cause soon enough, they're going to be big and stinky. annie used to hold the other foot up for me... i loved that.

and then... my friends. my friends make me laugh & keep me going. i'm so thankful for my friends at this time of year. they've become my extended family. the family i chose. i'm thankful that this year i can say that i've surrounded myself with people who do good. people who bring me up, strengthen me, and make me want to be a better person. i haven't always been able to say that. this year i can. i find pleasure in that & i'm so thankful for my friends. it would be so easy for me to just be lonely, especially at this time of year. instead, i'm so busy - i've got dinner and lunch plans for every meal in the few days that i'm home this month.

so my final words for today - find pleasure. don't get drowned in the madness of christmas shopping. enjoy the season. take your kids to see the lights. or just sit in front of your tree & enjoy them. play a game as a family. make time for these little things. do something small every day for pleasure. i am.

12 comments:

Holly O. said...

Now who's being sappy? I love it, of course. You have a lot of things to be happy about, so glad you are seeing them. And you said Melissa Gilbert (an in Little House on the Prairie) but isn't that book by Elizabeth Gilbert???

Heather said...

I enjoyed that book too. She certainly does have an entertaining writing style. That was a great passage in the book, I had that bit marked in my copy. Sometimes we rush rush rush and just go through the motions, not so good.

Hayley said...

thanks holly! i keep doing that - calling her melissa - i'm special. but i fixed it!

tara said...

ha! nice change-a-roo hayley.
I like sappy hayley just as much as funny hayley.
thanks for a great post today woman:)

Mom said...

Great wisdom from my baby.... You are growing up.

Jori said...

You are such a smartie. Great advice.

Kristin said...

I'd say "deep thoughts"...good ones. Things to think about....

Jan said...

I loved your thoughts today. It's so important that we find a way to be happy - -and that we realize that it is our responsibility to do it. No one can make us happy -- we have to do that ourselves. And you're doing it. I love it.

michele said...

Hey Hayley
This is Michele (Holly's friend from St. George)- I have been thinking about doing this book for my book club. I will keep in mind she is a semi-lunatic but a fun read. Anyway, love your comments. When I don't get caught up in my tasks and chores and instead enjoy my relationships and focus on them, my life is always more enjoyable!

Emily said...

Very good advice.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i agree. i'm a pleasure seeker. the lil' crap can wait. do the fun stuff instead.

Kristi said...

Hayley--you said that beauitfully. And I agree. Let's focus more on pleasure (How naughty! that sounds so wrong) and not so much on dreariness. You have inspired me!!

Melissa Gilbert rocks ;)