12.29.2007

almost lost it

and by "it" i mean my mind. let me paint you a little picture of my day. my sister's had some frozen pipes in her house. we worked today (not heading up to park city, but chose to stay home and be there just in case pipes exploded) to get hot water flowing. it did, finally. there was great relief throughout the house. then neddie heard some water in the walls. either a clicking or a dripping sound, i'm not positive cause i never heard it. which started the panic all over again. when david (my very very handy brother in law) got home from skiing, he assured us that the house was not about to implode and flood out, so we decided to head over to my house. david was going to come and fix my running toilet. well... i get in my car & it won't start. completely dead. like so bad the horn wouldn't even honk. i had driven over to heidi's 5 hours earlier & everything was fine. whatev. luckily, i had my peeps around. and because my car is all electronic, we couldn't get the key out of the ignition. and we shut the door & it had locked. freak! that's why this post got its title "almost lost it" cause i almost went bananas. but, heidi has a spare key & had it handy, so we broke into my own car (not really) david & my dad jumped my car. my dad and heidi came with me to sears where we purchased a new battery. (heidi had to stay in the car, running. smart move. when we got it to my garage - it wouldn't start again.) david had my toilets fixed (no replacement necessary, just some jiggling) and was replacing my batteries in my smoke detectors (that part of my life, i'm a recovering already lost it victim. 2 years ago, i beat 2 smoke detectors to death. not my proudest moment, but it happened. damned things wouldn't stop beeping (and mocking) me even after i'd replaced batteries, switched the circuit & drained the stupid suckers. not necessarily in that order. just know that beeping smokers make me insane. for example, now, if i'm at someone's house & theirs are beeping, i am outta there faster than you can realize what's happening!) david even replaced a light bulb in a tight fixture in my office. now, i'm not blogging in the dark! (that's only been a recent development)

my dad and david replaced my battery for me, i was so relieved, and grateful for the situation. cause lets face it, if it had to happen, it couldn't have happened at a more opportune time. at my sister's, where they had spare keys, with david who could fix anything, with the moral support of my parents, specifically my dad, who never left my side. even when i shut myself in my car & had a "moment," or not even when i told emma (very nicely) that she needed to get in the car so she wouldn't hear me say anything bad. (not sure, but i don't even think i said any potty words)

so. thanks again dad, (and david) for all of your help. you're the best. i love you. and i'm sorry my house was messy. i'll have it cleaned "white glove" style by tuesday!

12 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

dadgum. that's quite a day. you're so lucky to have those peeps around.

speaking of david. what ever happened with his colon? i've been praying for that guy just in case, but i'm assuming if anything terrible was going on, we would have heard. right?

Hayley said...

natalie - i guess i never followed up all the way, but this post sorta did: http://drpepperjones.blogspot.com/2007/11/finally.html

he didn't need a resection. he's ok, but will be checked in february again!

tara said...

kick A banner hayley. I'm lovin' it.
Nice timing woman...and way to give the young ones proper warning during a melt down. I need to remember that.
By the way...the pic of you in Holly's collage is SUPER. (holding Will...I think?)

Emily said...

Oh man, what a day you had! Car trouble is the worse, but flooding houses are too....glad things turned out okay.

Jori said...

Hayley I am SO with you. One of the blasted smoke detecters in our new place has been chirping. Kaitlin has about flipped out. She didn't even want to set foot in this place. The stupid thing was at the highest point of a vaulted ceiling and we had no ladder. Yesterday morning it started beeping at 3:30 a.m. uggggh! We went and bought a ladder and Ryan changed the battery. It beeped for a couple of minutes after he changed it but hasn't since. If it goes off again we are taking a ball bat to it. Honestly! So annoying. It sounds like you have some helpful people around. Don't you love people that can fix everything?

Kristin said...

What a day!! But I have to admit...I did have visions of the Friends episode where Phoebe was going nuts on her smoke alarms and couldn't help but think of you being that way!! :)

Melissa said...

Man...I'm frazzled just reading your post! Glad everything turned out OK!

Girl James said...

Glad everything turned out okay. It is always nice to have those "fix-its" around when you need them. I'm glad you have them! ps - what are you doing for New Years?

Jan said...

Timing is everything, isn't it? At least when the complications happened, you were surrounded by the good guys. I love that. Tender mercy, maybe?

Heather said...

Smart thinking telling all children to go away for a few moments!! I like that.

Kristi said...

Holy Ravioli! Sorry your day was so crazy, Hayley. I love your stories though, and I don't blame you for having a "moment" and you are a better woman than I for not using "potty" words. :) Thank heavens for families who can help us!

Kristi said...

Holy Ravioli! Sorry your day was so crazy, Hayley. I love your stories though, and I don't blame you for having a "moment" and you are a better woman than I for not using "potty" words. :) Thank heavens for families who can help us!