11.06.2007

no rest for the weary

Last night I had to be super auntie. Heidi and David were busy with a medical procedure, that ended up taking a lot longer than expected... more details on that later. I had to round up her kids after school, get homework done, piano practiced & dinner fed. Plus, I had to run to the store and buy whatever it was I was going to bring for our bookclub. Which turned out to be croissants. mhmmm - are those things delicious or what? Bookclub started at 7, at Heidi's & she wasn't home yet. So I had to play hostess with the mostest in her house. I was like a bull in a china shop. (i wish i was kidding more. i'm not graceful though)

and mind you, i've got a kinked neck that is rendering me useless. or at least i felt like i should be rendered that way. and - i've got a head cold & an ear infection. and kids - they just don't slow down cause you're not feeling well.

when my sister got home, finally - after every one else had arrived, she wasn't right. one glance at her, i wanted to cry. david's oldest brother 2 months ago had a colonoscopy and had a huge mass removed & a bunch of precancerous polyps removed. and his grandpa died of colon cancer. at that, that doctor recommended everyone one of david's siblings get one. now, i've had one & they are about the least fun thing i can imagine, but now know so necessary. last night was david's appointment. the doctor found a 5 cm mass. and many polyps. they removed them already & we're now waiting pathology reports. heidi was definitely in shock and panick mode. which sent me a little over the edge. david's been in our family since i was 10. we're close. this is way too close to home & i sat there all night, listening to heidi talk. my neck and ear throbbing, wishing i was in bed & this whole night wasn't happening.

after the ladies left, i went up and had a little heart to heart with david. he was feeling pretty positive about the situation, which calmed me down. i mean, i'm still worried, and all night long as i tossed, turned and winced, i thought of them... what we're going to hear, what's going to happen, etc... just a little scary

12 comments:

Mel said...

What a crazy night. I wish David luck. That's a scary experience. My mom went through that. Scary stuff. I hope all turns out well.

tara said...

more than a little scary...
Hope they get good news from pathology. We just need to love and cherish our loved ones EVERY DAY, don't we!?!

Glad you managed the super aunt thing. Kids sure don't give a rat's A if you feel like garbage.

Emily said...

I hope that you get good news from the results I am thinking and praying for your family. i hope you feel better.

Jori said...

I will pray for him too. Sorry you are going through so much turmoil right now.

Heather said...

A word on the grandpa, he didn't die from cancer, he died from heart disease 20 some years after he had cancer. I asked Heidi today. I can't believe all that's happened either.

Tiburon said...

Oh my goodness - my thoughts and prayers are with them. That is geat you were able to help them out!

Kristi said...

Your family is definitely in my prayers tonight. I hope eveything turns out ok and you start feeling better missy! Way to be SUPER AUNT for real!

Kristin said...

Hang in there. We'll be praying for you guys and hoping things are okay. And maybe it's time to take a day off to catch up....

100 Percent Cottam said...

adding david to my prayer list! + fingers & toes crossed for good news. let us know.

way to jump in there and be super hayley. you're the best.

Melissa said...

This is scary...best of luck to him through this process.

Jan said...

Lots of thoughts and prayers coming your way for sure - very scary stuff. Let us know what they find out. This must be colonoscopy season!

Shelley said...

I'll keep your family in my prayers :)