10.18.2007

local drama

earlier this week i was watching (listening to) the news while getting dressed for work, as I always do. i heard that there was a bank robbery at this "local west jordan credit union" so i stepped out of the bathroom, into my bedroom to see - cause i use a credit union & there's a branch that i frequent in west jordan. THAT WAS MY EXACT BRANCH! kinda gave me the willys. the bank that i am at on an almost weekly basis doing some sort of transaction, was held up & robbed this week. freaky!

then, this afternoon, there was maybe 20 minutes left before school was out. my principal walks into my room and says "i've gotta talk to you about something you need to talk to your team about right now." so i excuse myself & go talk to her. (no, i didn't fart, i pardoned myself from reading the rest of the book to my students) she tells me that she's just been informed by the WJ police that there was an attempted abduction just this afternoon at the elementary school right next to ours. this is the school that i drive past every day going to my house. people in my ward, there kids go to that school. (i only live about 2 miles from my school) this freaks me out people. for these poor little kids. i talked to them about walking home with a buddy & not talking to strangers. luckily, its red ribbon week right now. (say no to drugs week) and so i reminded them (we weren't supposed to freak people out, we were supposed to just remind them about safety) that one way to avoid drugs is by not talking to strangers. strangers could be the people that offer us drugs.

i've been home tonight, grading papers, making dinner, watching tv. the thought keeps crossing my mind: i hope all of my kids are ok tonight. it scares the hell out of me.

8 comments:

Holly O. said...

Imagine how scared you'd be if you'd actually pushed one of them out! Gave birth, I mean.

Tiburon said...

Ack! Where do you live? I bet we are pretty close to one another. :)

Jori said...

I just want the people who hurt kids to be lined up and shot. No trial nothing! Just shot. Maybe castrated then shot. You're a great teacher, good job looking out for the kiddies. I hate it when things happen close to home. I always like to think that bad things aren't happening around me.

Melissa said...

That is scary..but where have I been...haven't heard about any of that. I must be burying my head in the sand. I do hate hearing about these sad realities, but we must be aware so we can keep our kids safe!

Heather said...

Yikes that is scary! Yesterday Scott called and asked if I had seen all the helicopters. (news helicopters were literally right outside his office window) Some guy shot and killed his x girlfriend and the new boy friend in some nice apartments right across from HP! Then the dude was shot, we weren't sure if he killed himself or he was shot by the police, but that's not so good. What's even weirder is that I was at Target (right by all the action) about this same time. I saw a police car speeding by, but had no idea at the time what was happening. It's weird when this kind of stuff happens right around the corner from you. I couldn't help thinking about it all day.

Kristi said...

That scares the poop out of me, seriously!! I do not deal well with kidnapping and robbery...man, sometimes I just cannot believe we can bring kids into this world...

Emily said...

That is so scary. Kidnappings make me sick. I agree with Jori line em and shoot the bas%#@&*!

100 Percent Cottam said...

eeeks, that's nuts. i hate it when weirdness goes on around me. it gets to me way more than i wish it would.