10.05.2007

are you getting fat?

so i have one set of grandparents. my dad's. (my mom's parents both passed away a long time ago) the living ones are starting to get up there in age. my grandma's in her 80's & in my opinion still kicking pretty good, although in recent years, her body is slowing down. sometimes i think her mind might be a little, too. (this is to be expected, right? too bad in my world, it started slowing down around 25, maybe 26)

ok, enough of this background knowledge. i don't talk to my grandma often, maybe once or twice a month. but for some reason, when i call & she answers, she's always known my voice, based on my "grandma?!" she always says, "hayley!" this week, when i called, she paused & said, "who is this? melissa?" (melissa is a cousin) I said, "no grandma, its hayley." so then she caught on to my game & said "where are you going?" cause apparently i only call her in the car. but - its a good place to call people, cause if i'm home, i'm often doing something - not on the phone. and i told her that i was on my way home from dinner with a friend. she said, "are you getting fat?"

getting?

i swallowed hard, cause you know that when your grandma tells you enough is enough, you've really dropped the ball. i said (honestly, in my opinion, so don't yell at me dad) "well, i'm a fat version of what i should be, but i'm not fat compared to the norm, i'd say." and she said "oh, cause it seems like you eat out a lot & when you eat out a lot, you gain weight." OH SO THAT'S MY PROBLEM. (actually, i kinda already knew that.) but the thing is, i seriously only talk to her monthly or less...

Folks, here's my lesson this week, my grandma can actually hear me getting fatter. (that's a line from tommy boy) sad. and maybe i should call her sometime from home. while i'm exercising!

11 comments:

Melissa said...

You gotta love grandma's...they are always so honest! I think calling her from the tread mill is a great idea...Ha, Ha!

Mom said...

I'm amused. I'm sure her theory is when you eat out a lot you eat a lot of bad food and therefore you get fat. Nothing personal.

Jori said...

Grandma's are funny. I was eating a piece of cake at a shower and my grandma poked me in the bum with her cane and said "are you STILL eating?" (shut up richard;) more tommy for you.

Shelley said...

Her mind MUST be going... You're far from fat or even close to getting there! :-Þ

Holly O. said...

That is so funny! Why am I so amused by this???

Emily said...

Oh man you gotta love grandmas. Mine would totally say something like that to me. I love it!

Kristi said...

You are so funny, Hayley, and so full of it! I think you look fab. but I love how Grandma's have no qualms about certain subjects.

100 Percent Cottam said...

ooh, that is seriously funny. i need to kick my eating out habit myself. it might help with my spare tire...

tara said...

freak...holly, I am way past amused at this. SOOO funny.

My grandpa was the honest type as well. Never a dull moment:)

Heather said...

Oh Grandma, haha. That eating out can be, rather taxing on the wasteline.

Jan said...

How funny is that! (not so funny, right?) She's right on the eating out -- but not for you. You are adorable and far from fat!