10.18.2007

adventures in singledom

ok. he showed up at my house a few minutes after 7. I opened the door & he apologized for being late. he'd gotten lost. he's never been to my house before. now girls, this man is handsome in my eyes. he's a good dresser. he looked good. i was totally fine with a few minutes, especially after an apology. he came upstairs and i got a jacket on & we talked... while he's looking around at my house, obviously impressed *he said so* I realized that he was nervous. which made me feel so good. i mean, i am not saying he's about to confess his undying love for me, but you know if a guys nervous there's at least a little something. so then we left. he's a gentleman. opened doors for me, etc... we went to famous daves & got bbq. i hadn't had bbq since my birthday almost 3 years ago, when i ate it & then proceeded to upchuck my guts for the entire night following that. but i surely wasn't going to bring that up & he got excited when i mentioned that place. and it was fine. we sat and ate & talked for about 2 hours. he's shy. but i also knows he has told me things about himself that even his roommate doesn't know. *for a little while this summer, we were hanging out pretty regularly & spent many a late nights chatting... so while at first i could tell he was nervous, and knowing he's shy, i thought a 2 hour dinner was good news. he had to go pick up his roommate from the airport, or else he said he would've taken me to a movie or something. whatever. i had to get home & calm down a bit... going to sleep last night - it took some serious "getting ready for bed" routine. he walked me to the door. we stood there and talked for a minute again. he got nervous again. i couldn't stop smiling. which probably only added to his nervousness. he hugged me and left. (he's a hugger. we've hugged before) so no kiss, which was totally fine...

but now what. i need your help and advice. do i text him today & say something playful and witty? something just appreciative? (I did say thank you a few times) or do I wait? I'd convinced myself he wasn't interested. I'd deleted him out of my phone book for the love of Pete. Do I just wait and see what he does? Cause I know he's a slow mover. I know he's shy. I might be saggy and wrinkly by the time he gets up the courage to do this again. I just don't know. I know I'm interested. That's putting it lightly. He's so many things that I haven't had for a long time. I really would enjoy having some of his qualities around more often. I dig this guy, people... Please advise...

UPDATE: I did text him. Of course I did. I couldn't not. I said something along the lines of "thank you, it was fun, wish we hung out more consistently" he texted back about a half hour later, on the noon hour & said "me too... i enjoyed seeing you again." so... that's all for now. i'll back off again for a lil bit :)

15 comments:

Holly O. said...

You know my advice. I say text him, call him, email him. I don't think that is too forward. You like him, no need to play games. Be as forward as you feel comfortable with. Now, that doesn't mean I think you should call him and tell him you want to have his babies, but you could just text him and say you had a good time and would love to take him to Dodo. Or whatever.

Mom said...

I think a text is great. Who knows you might hear from him before you do anything. A thank you is always in order.

Emily said...

I say you text him say you had fun would like to go out again. Slow movers need to be pursued! Glad you had fun.

Dad said...

I'll call this boy and give him your RING size - what's his number?

tara said...

oh your dad!! HA!

text for sure. Something fun. Say you would like to return the favor...take him out! Go for it.
glad you had a good time and that bbq did not induce vomiting this go round. yay:)

Jan said...

Your dad is awesome! hee hee! Send him an email or a text - -just tell him you had a great time and would like a re-match! Do it!

Shelley said...

Haha, your dad is awesome! lol Short of proposing engagement... I'd call him and say thank you for dinner, tell him you had an absolutely wonderful time, and you can't wait to see him/hang out with him/or take him up on that movie.

If he knows he won't be turned down if/when he asks you out again, he'll be more likely to ask! I am so so happy it went well! :D

Kristi said...

Your dad cracks me up--he always knows what to say in these situations.

I love hearing about your date!!! How exciting. He sounds like a nice guy. I agree with Holly, do what ever you feel most comfortable with.

You're one hot mama, Hayley, and he better recignize ;)

Tiburon said...

First, your dad is hysterical.
Second, I would go the playful text route.
Third, I am sending second date vibes your way!

Melissa said...

I love your dad's comment...go for it daddy! Text him 2day...if he's shy he'll probably appreciate it!

Heather said...

Sounds like a good time, Oh Dad!!! wouldn't you die if he did that :)

Jori said...

Your dad is a crack up. Hooray Hayley. Sounds like a fun night. I see nothing wrong with offering a little encouragment. It will let him know you are interested without seeming super clingy. I had to kind of help Ryan along here and there. He is shy and a slow mover too. I got the ball rolling and then he took over with the proposals, I love you's and all that stuff. The fact that you can talk forever is great! Ryan and I would talk for hours every time we were together. I am very happy!!!!!He sounds great.

Jori said...

Oh one more thing. Don't worry about orchestrating anything. If it's meant to be with him or whoever it will just work out. I was a total idiot with Ryan and it all worked out. I know you won't act as lame as I did, I just remember when I was single always worrying about being in the right place, saying the right things, and I realized if it's right it will work out fine.

100 Percent Cottam said...

sweet! i would text him and say thanks, had a great time, let's do it again soon...something like that. so happy it was a good date!

Kristin said...

I'm glad that you had a good date. Can't wait to hear what is next! What did you decide to do??