9.22.2007

wholesome??!

ok. i am home. sad. and oddly comforting. i had an amazing trip - cruise & tomballing it. but there's nothing like laying on your own couch or your own bed. there's just so much i should be doing right now, instead of uploading buttloads of pictures & blogging. ah - forget it.

i had a very interesting conversation with a man at the airport in denver today. first of all - this was towards the end of my 3+ hour lay over. i'd already eaten an caramel & peanut covered apple at the rocky mountain chocolate factory... mhmmm. that was a tasty treat. then i'd even eaten my lunch. and i'd wandered up and down the humongous terminal probably twice. so i said to myself self - self, lets go find the gate and wait. read a little booky (which is definitely a goodie!)

get to the point. the interesting conversation.

3 elderly couples come and sit down next to me. they're funny. they're teasing each other, they're picking on each other, they're talking travel plans. i'm thinking "man, that'd be the life someday!" the two closest to me kinda include me in their conversations... they're friendly peeps. and the place is swarming with flies. like the guy on my other side had no less than 7 flies on his lower half at one point - i counted! it was disgusting. it was making me twitch just a little, and the old farts were noticing the annoyance, too! so we were chatting. and then i thought to myself "i'm turning into my mom!" that lady can and will (so help her!) chat with anyone. we tease her about showing her breast cancer tattoos to the checker at jewel! so i get my book out and get busy reading.

when all of a sudden i hear "excuse me?" so i look up. this guy has come and sat next to me. he proceeds to excuse himself for bothering me, but his wife and he were over there talking and people watching & he then informs me that he's a doctor, who works with recovering addicts. he said to me, "i was sitting over there thinking, 'she's so wholesome looking, i bet she's never done drugs' so i decided to come ask you, cause we're doing some research." he also mentioned how i was being so polite and friendly with those elderly folks, he couldn't help but want to talk to me. ok. strange! and i know by then my expression was entirely confused & probably like "what the?" so he asked if he could ask me a couple of questions. i couldn't bring myself to words, so i nodded. here's what he asked me -are you a recovering addict. i shook my head. and said, "i'd never done drugs" i didn't feel the need to go into my dr pepper problem with him. although later on i wondered if i was completely honest with this man. he said, "i figured." then he want on to ask about what i do, (i didn't give specific details, cause i was honestly not creeped out, but extremely surprised/caught off guard) what I was reading, how I decided to read that book. and finally he said "well, i'll let you get back to your book." so i smiled, said thanks & got to reading.

then i sent kim a text message telling her about what happened. her response cracked me up, cause it was exactly what i was realizing i was thinking. she said, "have you really changed that much in the two weeks that you've been gone?" seriously people, talk about scaring the crap out of the old people! i barked so loud, i'm sure at least one of them messed their depends! WHOLESOME? me? i don't know about that. part of me was thinking, "i wish my dad woulda heard that!" but then i was sitting there knowing he would've been smirking at me. and part of me wanted to share with this stranger a few words i would use to describe myself. wholesome not being one of them. i wouldn't say i'm unwholesome, but i wouldn't say i am wholesome. i'd use sarcastic, entertaining, fierce, chubby, frizzy-haired, zitty, silly, gasy, loving, dependable, responsible, prone to b.o., but definitely not wholesome. i don't know about you guys, but it was a strange little run in... and mom, spaz down, i didn't give any details, like my name or school, so if he is a psycho hose beast, he'll have to work extra hard to find me~

8 comments:

Holly O'Keefe said...

I like Kim. Her reaction was about right.

Heather said...

I love that post Hayley. You really are wholesome though in so so so many ways. I love that guy recognized the goodness in you. You do radiate a certain "sparkle". I'm really liking that book eat, pray, love too. I read some this morning-ahhhh I love Sunday mornings. Hopey is so good and sleeps in almost every Sunday morning. Glad you got your apple, just one? ;)

Kristi said...

Psycho hose beast? Nice one! That post cracked me up. You really are once wholesome gal...and sweet, too! Actually, I really do think you're both, and I love all the other things you wrote--you're fabulous just the way you are. I also read Eat, Pray, Love and I really liked it! I started Book Thief (thanks to your blog suggestion) and I am loving it!! Gracias

Jori said...

Prone to b.o. and gasy were my favorites. You so funny! That is a crazy run in. I had a guy come up to me in the St. Louis airport and said if I would follow him, he would upgrade my ticket to first class. "No thanks freak show, not feeling much like being murdered"

Shelley said...

Love that you used "psycho hose beast" in your blog. I just hadn't found an appropriate place to use that term in mine yet. And Miss Hayley... there is part of you that IS wholesome. You're a good egg. People can tell that. :)

Jan said...

I like psycho hose beast too -- I have to say that I actually do use that term in my day-to-day life from time to time. And you are definitely better than wholesome -- sparkly, funny, beautiful, open, and warm.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i love psycho hose beast. what is that from? i forget. girl, you're as wholesome as apple pie. that is, truely, a weird experience. yeah.

Melissa C- said...

Well that would've creeped me out big time! I too share in your deep, dark, powerful secret...being totally hooked on Dr Pepper (But my drug of choice is Diet Coke)! I can't get off the stuff, no matter how many times I've tried. It just calls my name and I've never been one to stand up to something so comforting. I have to have mine first thing in the morning, from the local gas station, with the right amount of ice and the perfect soda to carbonation ratio. Ummm, nothing better than that!