9.24.2007

this book is killing me

I am finding myself thoroughly loving this book. like laugh out loud kinda enjoyment. yesterday i came across a section that reminded me of me. i hope i'm not bootlegging or doing something illegal here, but i have to include a little passage from page 96. i've read it and re-read it a couple of times. She was talking about as a single adult finding it odd - as to where she fits in in her family... she doesn't sit at the kid table, but she doesn't have a partner for the adult table. this is something i can relate to. in fact, i won't go to Disneyland again until i have someone to take on the rides with me. so here we go - sorry if its longish.

"Last summer, my five-year-old niece had a little friend over to my sister's house to play. I asked the child when her birthday was. She told me it was January 25. 'Uh- oh!' I said. 'You're an Aquarius! I've dated enough Aquarians to know that they are trouble.' Both the five-year-olds looked at me with bewilderment and a bit of fearful uncertainty. I had a sudden horrifying image of the woman I might become if I'm not careful: Crazy Aunt Liz. The divorcee in the muumuu with the dyed orange hair who doesn't eat dairy but smokes menthols, who's always just coming back from her astrology cruise or breaking up with her aroma-therapist boyfriend, who reads the Tarot cards of kindergartners and says thinks like, 'Bring Aunty Liz another wine cooler, baby, and I'll let you wear my mood ring...'"

Ok, so I haven't dyed my hair orange, but I am two steps away from having to wear muumuus. And, I've given my nieces and nephews dating advice, based on harsh experiences I've gone through. (and I really shouldn't eat dairy!) So far, I'm just everyone's best auntie, not "Crazy Auntie Hayley" but I can already picture my dad trying to push this new nickname on the kids.

Read the book. Just shut up and do it!

7 comments:

Heather said...

I love this book too, I have thought of you a couple of times while reading it. Crazy Aunt Hayley!! haha

Kristi said...

This is a great book!! You are not crazy--you are cute...

Shelley said...

I'll have to add it to my list. Just keep the tourettes on the down low in front of the kids. That'll get you called crazy in a heart beat. Especially if the young'ens don't know you like we do.

Jan said...

Don't think you'll smoke menthols, either - -honestly, those little ones just love you and it comes through loud and clear. You're no one's crazy Aunt anything. You're Annie's hottie!! They love you.

Jori said...

This book is on my list, can't wait to read it.

100 Percent Cottam said...

i've been dying to read this. it's totally on the list. love the passage. you're not crazy aunt hayley, but i loved it anyway. hilarious!

Girl James said...

Okay this is on my list next...I'm in the middle of Kite Runner still. Liking it a lot. Always good suggestions on books from you Hayley!