9.05.2007

i'm a wreck today

so... last night, there was torrential wind & rain. and thunder and lightening. then my electricity went out. so i sat there reading for a while, before it went dark. then i realized that my cell phone was getting close to dying. then i remembered that i hadn't eaten dinner yet. and that my car was stuck in my garage. lets just say there was shaking involved.

when my electricity finally went back on, a little over an hour later, i was such a mess, i couldn't think straight. i just sat and watched the news the rest of the night. the news was crazy this morning with damaged houses, trees blown over, roots & all... crushed trampolines. at one point i looked out my window and was shocked to see the better part of a tree blowing down my street. and it looked like a piece of paper blowing in the wind. it was so eerie. but lemme just tell you - i didn't sleep well, what with all the thunder and lightening last night. quite frightening.

this morning, i was chatting with my dad on the way to work. he was telling me about something sassy he said to heidi, about our cruise. (if you don't, you should know, heidi's a little turbo. she's very organized & thinks things through, including alternate plans for EVERYTHING) well, yesterday she emailed my parents and me telling us that she's got 18 bottles of sunscreen for her family. (i hope i'll survive with 3 for myself! - keep your fingers crossed no burns!) so mikey told me that he called her last night asking if 8 tubes of toothpaste is enough, cause he plans on sharing with mom & i, and that he doesn't want to offend anyone, so he plans on brushing at least thrice, daily. haha. i love how he can gently make fun of us for our quirky ways. and mind you - most of our quirky ways are a direct result of being HIS daughter. but that's why we love him.

but - here's what else you need to know, because of the lack of sleep, i'm extremely tired. i couldn't drag my butt out of bed, so i self negotiated. i didn't do my hair, so i put it up in a ponytail right after my shower. its still wet, which is annoying, but it was worth that sacrifice. i also didn't shave, so i'm wearing pants. my eyes are bloodshot and puffy. and i was ornery with one of my kids (the one who told me i have a big butt) this morning after he made another student cry & pushed her down, flat on her butt, into a puddle. He said to me, "I have already apologized four times, at least!" I said, "you don't need to apologize ever again. you need to stuff this (in my mind i screamed you need to stop this shit!) and keep your hands to yourself. saying your sorry and then turning around doing it again and again. that makes the apology invalid."

GOOD HELL... as I was typing this post, my students are supposed to be practicing their spelling words. the aforementioned student had no good reason, but felt the urge to stab another student in the back with his pencil... geesh! i sent him down to the principal's office, for the 2nd time today! man oh man!

15 comments:

Holly O'Keefe said...

18 bottles of suncreen? Heidi is the most organized, prepared person I know. And yes, she gets it from Dad! I don't have enough of that in me. Kevin wishes I did too. Oh well.

Holly O'Keefe said...

PS, sorry you had such a scary night. What are you afraid of in a storm? Just curious.

Miss Jones said...

i don't want to explain myself to you - i feel like you're judging my fear. i don't know. its the loud noise. it startles me. you get scared at slight movement & people jumping out from behind dark places. i get scared of storms. fear of possible tornadoes, as a kid, i don't know. it just gets me extremely nervous!

Emily said...

I love storm if I'm inside. I wae wondering how you were doing last night. Sorry it was so crappy. As for that mean kid, jeez louise, whats up with that? Although I can't say much since I stabbed a kid with a pencil once too. Just think soon you'll be on a cruise!

Mel said...

Sorry you had such an awful night with the storm!! That's just crappy. I like storms, for the most part. Good luck with obnoxious kid.

Kristi said...

That sucks, Hayley, that you had such a scary night!! Lighting & thunder in the dark freaks me out! I hope the rest of your day gets better ASAP!!!
PS--your Dad & sister are adorable...

Holly O'Keefe said...

Whoa. Calm yourself. I wasn't judging you! Freakshow. I was curious. I just read a report and the girl was horrified HORRIFIED of storms. Just wondered what it was about them that scared people.

100 Percent Cottam said...

holly, quit judging hayley, seriously. don't make her send you to the principal's office, because she has proved that she WILL do it. and if you don't stop harassing her, i will push you into a puddle once, twice, THREE times. and i won't apologize even once. :) hayley. sorry about the sucky night. and sucky day. how many days until off track?! :)

Miss Jones said...

wow - this proves hojo really gets my sense of humor! (I WAS KIDDING!)

Heather said...

You have me laughing on many levels. Heidi is one prepared woman. I'm glad you sent that varmant to the principals!!

Mom said...

Tonight the weather will be good and you will sleep like a baby.

Jori said...

I'm with you on storms. I hate that weather is SO out of our hands. It can do anything it wants to us. I love the 18 bottles of sunscreen thing. Heidi really needs to start blogging. Get working on her!

tara said...

Oh man. the jones family get better with every post. A little preparation never hurt nobody:)
Sorry you had a scary night. It sucks to be scared...unless you are hard-ass holly :(

Shelley said...

HOLY crap that kid has issues. I got stabbed in the leg with a pencil once. not fun.

PS, i like your dad, he's funny. :)

Jan said...

My sister feels just like you do about storms -- I don't like them much but I sympathize with you (and her!). Scary night -- I"m so sorry!