8.15.2007

such extremes

so, yesterday, i told one of my little girls to get a grip. i know that sounds harsh. but seriously - she cries all the time. she's incredibly smart. but she can't handle any confusion or frustration. its really starting to bug the heckers out of me. if anything is challenging to her, in the least, we've got tears. and she can't get a grip. i didn't say it ugly like - i was crouched down next to her, comforting her, but at the same time - i've gotta nip this in the bud. so just now - she's in tears and comes over bawling because she doesn't get what she's supposed to do. i didn't even answer her question. i told her to go sit down & that she could come back and talk to me when she's done crying.

then at the other end of the spectrum - i have one kid in my class who i will literally have to hurt to get him intimidated (this is the kid who told me i have a big butt!) i could threaten him til i'm blue in the face to do "the right thing" and he still wouldn't. arg.

why can't kids just be normal?! haha.

10 comments:

Holly O'Keefe said...

kick him where it counts. that'll get is attention. or as kevin says, "drop him."

Shelley said...

You are so not getting paid enough Hayley. Teachers are so very underrated. I think it's time for a parent-teacher conference. Kids with issues need to be fixed or trained to be "normal" before they're adults and don't give a flying rats arse!

tara said...

holy cow I think I'd want to shake that poor girl as well. Seriously.
I agree with Holly about the rotten kid..."drop him". Kids like that you could trip and not even feel bad.

Kristi said...

Kicking anyone where it counts is your first and best bet! That poor girl, you just wish she'd figure out that everything does not require tears, goodness.

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

awww poor little crier. yeah, that would get old. you might need to flick her in the forehead. that boy, too. little bastard.

Jori said...

You are a patient woman! Maybe the teacher should put tacks on chairs for a change.

Jan said...

Wow Natalie -- you cussed!

Holly O'Keefe said...

Bastard is cussing? Oh crap.

Mom said...

No kicking.... even if you want to and her deserves it.

Emily said...

Man, I hope you never get my girl she would probably be the crier. She would probably drive you crazy, like she does me. I feel for you on that one. As for the boy, I am at a loss for words.... can you gag him? Or is that a no no as a teacher?