6.21.2007

why i needed a new phone & why my dad needs to learn to lock keypad...

so i used to have a samsung phone... i'll try and find a picture. mine wasn't plum though. i locked the keypad, but it can still dial emergency (your phone will call 911 even if the keypad is locked, in case of a real emergency & you hit 112) well, back then, i didn't know this. my phone used to be in my purse & it would dial 911 on occasion. i was always baffled as to how this happened, cause i had locked keypad set to kick in after 10 seconds of non usage. anyway, last september, heidi & i drove cross country & took the kids to chicago. we saw the city, we saw my parents & I made a complete fool of myself, many many times. nothing new. here's what happened... i was trying to connect with my friend, kristin. Kristin is one of my chicago friends & still has a lovely thick chicago accent. so, my dad had to work on this particular day & we went to meet him for lunch. while driving there, my phone rings. its a local number, one that i don't recognize. I assume its kristin. Kristin says, "mam, your phone has been calling the hoffman estates emergency number, is there an emergency?" hayley says, "hell yeah there's an emergency. i'm hungry and on my way to taco bell! kristin what are you doing?" Kristin says, "mam - this isn't kristin, this is the hoffman estates police department... is there an emergency?" Hayley says, "whatever kristin, you're such a nerd!" i hang up. i get a few strange looks from my parents & sister in the car & proceed to laugh and tell everyone what a big nerd kristin is. so - i wait for her to call back. she doesn't. so i call the number back... "hoffman estates emergency, how may i help you?" ***all of a sudden, i feel incredibly dense. it kinda sinks in. "is kristin there?" (gulp) the same lady kinda chuckles and says "mam, this isn't kristin. this really is the emergency line. do you need help?" i am sure i turned red with embarrassment. how do i now proceed to tell the lady that i need more help than she can offer... oh dear. have no fear, fellow bloggers - emergency was taken care of with a few tacos.

the reason why i remembered this story just now, is cause my dad's blackberry (new work cell) just called me... i can hear talking/noise, but he's not answering. i'm thinking "great, my dad's dying on the other end & he calls me. what the hell can i do for him now?" so i hang up and call that number back. voice mail. so i call the house & my mom answers - i say in a fright "where's dad?" she says "he's laying on the couch watching a movie, why?" i said "he needs to learn to lock his keypad" she says "honey - are you going to taco bell?" goodnight nurse!!!

also - i got a new phone. a slider. i was sick of making an idiot of myself. like i need any help!

11 comments:

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

that is the funniest thing i've ever read in my life. i'm dying on the floor right now. not in an emergency, call the police way (so don't, okay?) but in a peeing in my pants, laughing hysterically way. you're a nut.

Shelley said...

HAHA! Your mom is a riot! Taco bell fixes unlocked cell phones. :) Makes perfect sense! hahaha!

Kristi said...

That's hilarious! I love it--your stories crack me up!

Kristin said...

AAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! I had forgotten about that, but as soon as I read the title of the post, I knew that would be in there. I am seriously laughing hysterically, because the best part was when you called me right after to tell me! HAHAHAHA!! Oh, that made my morning.

Mom said...

I am amused all over again. Not too many things you enjoy the second time as much as the first time around.

Jori said...

That is so bloomin' funny! It just gave me a good belly laugh. Ryan's phone kept calling me today too. He called 3 times and every time I could just hear background noise. I got scared too, I thought maybe he was injured and was using his dying breath to get in touch with me. I kept calling back and just got voicemail. Good thing he called me back pretty fast, otherwise I would have been having my own little conversation with 911.

Holly O'Keefe said...

Yes, this one is a crack up. And I have to say, our clever little mom was on last night!

Mel said...

i'm laughing so hard. thanks for making my morning hayley. haha!!!

mogley said...

Best story ever. LOVE it.

Heather said...

Funny stuff, I love that story. Dad was just telling that story when he was at our house!

JT said...

That was hilarious! Ha!