6.21.2007

tough love


last night, krystal's son was having a conniption at bedtime. scratch that - after "bedtime" but they were still up. yesterday was krystal's birthday. the night before, she didn't get any sleep because she was up all night working on a project for her work & then spent the majority of her day trying to fix the errors. well, i knew she was tired & i felt bad for her cause it was her birthday. so i knocked on the door and butted in. i usually don't. but this time I just couldn't not. So I sent her to her room & gave Caleb a little tough love. spent over a half hour, putting a pull up on him, teaching him about consequences to his actions, and helping him appreciate his kind, sweet mother. i think she appreciated it, when i left the kid's room, she was laying in bed, barely awake.

here's what it made me think about my future of possible children. maybe i shouldn't. i find myself at times thinking "if you were mine, i'd beat the hell out of you right now" about certain children, in certain situations. i think i'll be the kinda mom who says "i brought you into this world, i can take you out!" as a teacher and a future parent, my goal is not for children to like me. i want them to respect me, to listen to me, and to feel secure that they're safe in my care. liking me - i could care less about. but the thing that i've realized, especially in teaching, is that the majority of my students - they listen, they learn, they respect & then they realize that they do like me. i'm tough & i'm not a pushover. and i will hold them to consequences, but they can also laugh and have fun with me, too - at the appropriate times.

this batch of kids that i have, i'm already starting to mourn them. granted, there's a couple of oddballs. a couple that i won't mind letting move on. but for the most part, we're a well oiled machine. they know the routine, they get the rules, we've grown to teach/learn together quite well. in a month, i'm going to be getting ready to deal with a new batch. kids that will cry when they hear my stern voice, kids that can't sit in their chair right, kids that will think they can interrupt & shout out any ol' time that they want to. in two months, i'll be finally able to stop pulling my hair out. i'll be able to relax with the rule enforcement a bit. but it'll be a long few months, getting settled.

if nothing else, i hope Caleb realizes that his mom is nice, and that he needs to listen to her a little more, or else he'll get "the Swamp." that's what we sorta did last night, pull a "Miss Nelson is Missing" moment on his ass. haha. i just said a swear word.

8 comments:

Shelley said...

See, I'm not a mother yet, and there are some kids out there that I'd want to kive a swift kick in the pants... but I honestly don't know if I could treat something that came out of me that way... ya know? Like your sisters' kids, you love them because you've seen them since they were wit-o babies. Just like my neices and nephews, they're not perfect little angels all the time.

Anyway, I'm just sayin' I doubt you'd treat your own kids that way. And I'm sure Krystal appretiates your help, sounds like she needed it too. :) You're a good friend.

Girl James said...

I LOVED THIS BOOK AS A KIDDO!

Jori said...

I so love your comment about not caring if you're liked by the kids! In our ward all of the teachers let the kids run wild, because they don't want the kids to hate them. I am like flicking kids in the back of the head and telling them to "pipe it" before I drag them to their parents. Helooooo, this is the problem with the world, nobody is teaching kids how to be a decent. People are either too lazy,apathetic,or scared to discipline. You go Hayley!! I am so impressed with you!!!

Holly O'Keefe said...

I'm glad you helped Krystal. She has a special place in my heart for some reason. She takes such good care of you and for that she deserves all the help she can get with her kiddos.

Kristin said...

You're so good! I'm totally with you on the whole respecting, listening, etc. thing...much be a teacher thing. In fact, in one of my piano lessons on Wednesday, the kid was giving me so much crap that I told her I was done and her lesson was over. OOPS!

Kristi said...

Hayley, you're going to be a fabulous mother. I can tell. :) And you're own kids aren't nearly as annoying as other people's kids can be. Plus: liked, schmiked who gives a rip. I bet you're a fabulous teacher, too. That was really nice of you to help out Krystal--you're a thoughtful person.

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

how fabulous is miss nelson is missing? i so love that book. i feel like i go from viola to miss nelson a million times a day without ever changing my clothes. wild mood swings! ;)

Heather said...

I love that you were Miss Swamp last night. I feel like I'm Miss Swamp a lot of the time :)!! That was very nice of you to help out with Crystal's son. I'm sure she was like...go for it Hayley! Having to deal with issues on your own 100% of the time is exhausting (remember Scott is gone.