6.30.2007

a thousand splendid minutes

ok. so i doubt it took me a thousand minutes to read A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, but I'll tell you this: it was incredible. There is something about this author that really is amazing. His stories are heartbreaking (yes, I cried for the last hour of reading) and enchanting, especially considering they happen in a world that I don't even begin to want to imagine what its like.

To anyone looking for a book to read - I highly recommend this. If you liked The Kite Runner at all, you'll enjoy this one as well.

I'm in that period where i just want to lay in my bed, cry and think about this book. I love books that do this to me. I hope you enjoy, also.

I think what I'll do instead is go to his website (linked above) and read some of the question and answers & discussion group questions...

7 comments:

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

i love a book that really touches me like that. that's awesome. i haven't read the kite runner. do you need to read that one first? it's been on my list, but other things keep popping up.

Mom said...

I'm reading the book right now and trying to finish it before I leave to go to Holly's. Very good. Like you said there are some very sad times and and heartbreak for the women. Easy read. I also enjoyed the Kite Runner. They had mention of some California cities where I grew up and that was fun.

Heather said...

That's the next book I'm reading. I just bought it at Costco because i'm still number 40 or something on the hold list at the library, and I am leading the discussion for book club on it next month. I love books that give me a strong reation, that's how you know it was good.

Miss Jones said...

natalie - they're not related at all. it just so happens that the author is Afghani & so are his characters. But you don't need to read them in order. both are spectacular!

Holly O'Keefe said...

Are you still crying?

Holly O'Keefe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristi said...

I'm excited to read this now-- thanks for the book rec. I'm going to have to get my name down at the library asap!