6.07.2007

they're baaaaaaack!

my kids are alive and kickin' today. i'm busy trying to get their reading levels re leveled for the end of the school year. i'm happy to report that all children are moving up in the world, even the ones that really have no hope. haha. i hate to be the one to say it, but that's just true. some kids really make me feel hopeless. and then some knock my socks off. i'm happy to be back with them though. we've only got 3 weeks left. we've got lots of stuff to do though. i'm sure at times i'll be overly stressed. my goal next year: to be nice. to be more accepting of the kids that never bring in their homework, that can't get to school on time & that will never earn our school's above and beyond award, the Distinguished Cub Award. Here's what I do have to celebrate: a little girl in my class, is currently in foster care. she suffered some serious abuse as a very young child. was later adopted by a family, but in the last year, started exhibiting very foul behavior. including wiping poop all over the bathroom at her old school. she was placed in foster care, in my school boundaries. since she's been in my classroom, she's been nothing but an angel. i don't think its all me (haha. don't worry, i don't think any of it is me) but credit her successes with the foster family who has basically a group home for troubled kids. they're neat people. well, my little girl, she's leaving foster care to go back with her adopted parents at the end of the year. her adoptive parents have told me themselves that my student just loves me and that they're so thankful i've been able to be fair to her. that girl has hope in life. she's got challenges, but she's smart & if she can just hang on to positive behaviors, she'll go far. i'll miss her. As i look out at my kids as they work, they're an interesting crew. no less than 3 are picking their noses right now. 2 are probably infested with lice (twins) and one has absolutely no clue what we're doing, as he stares out the window. oh well. i've enjoyed them.

10 comments:

Mel said...

I'm loving that only 18 of my kids showed up today. It's been heaven, and I'm seeing how much I do love my kids today. And the thought of only 3 more weeks if helping a lot with that also.

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

i am so thankful that the kids have teachers like you that care so much about them! i'm so nervous for maya to start school, because i think that no one will care about her as much as we do. which is true, but it helps to know how much you DO care! :)

Jan said...

I can tell you that you have made a difference to that little girl. They can feel the love you have for them and it makes a huge difference. I agree with Natalie - as I sent my little ones to school, I wanted to cling to the teacher and beg them to love my child. That's why I try to love the little ones that are part of my life. It does matter.

Jori said...

Good for the teachers in the world. Man that is a hard job. Thanks for being nice to the foster girl. Last year Ryan and I went through all of the foster parent classes and heard in graphic detail the abuses these little kids suffer. We ended up backing out because we were afraid to have kids with those kinds of problems around Kaitlin. So anyway good job!

Holly O'Keefe said...

Hayley is the teacher of the year. Seriously, she'll never admit it, but she is a fantastic teacher. I'm so proud to be her sister! Okay, that was not meant to be sarcastic, but it might seem like it is. I just like when Hayley is nice to people.

Kristi said...

Hayley--I believe it that you are an awesome teacher! You have a big heart and it shows. I'm glad you're enjoying your class today and that there are teachers out there like you!

Mom said...

If they paid you what you are worth you would be a millionaire.
You always wanted to be a teacher and I'm sure glad you stuck with your desire.

Heather said...

I hope that little girl can stay strong. Good job Hayley!!

Emily said...

It's good to know that there are teachers that teach because they want to and because they actually care. That little girl sounds like she got something from you that only you could give. It takes a big heart to deal with kids that have had so many trials in life. Isn't cool to know that she will remember you for the rest of you life in such a good way. WAY TO GO!

Miss Jones said...

oh guys, thanks... you're nice. hopefully i'll remember that when i'm ready to rip some heads off, probably tomorrow. no, seriously, my class is well trained. i've enjoyed them. i'll be sad to see them move on, and scared to see what bunch of kiddies that i've gotta deal with next. arg