6.10.2007

my voice

Last month, when I was paying bills, I noticed with my homeowners association bill included a water conservation report. I looked at it and appreciated, in my little way with trying to be more green, that my community is doing something. They offered advice and tips on how to waste less water, as well. At the bottom, there was 2 email address, one for the board of directors at the homeowners association & another for the management of the HOA. I sent them both an email thanking them for their efforts and also inquired as to why we don't recycle. Within a day, I received an email back from both people. The management said its costly and hasn't been approved in the past. The director said that it hasn't been brought up for a while, but he would at the next board meeting again. Last night, I got an email from him, with a survey to take for the community people asking if we'd be willing to pay $5 more a month in our association fees for a recycling program. Am I willing? Absolutely! I'm also feeling kinda jazzed about the fact that I think my voice played a part in this possibly adoption of the recycling program! Yay Hayley!!! Its the little things that we do that can really add up, huh?!?

8 comments:

Jan said...

Yay Hayley is right. Good for you for speaking up -- look what you did! I used to sort of ignore recycling, and have become very diligent about it but it's much easier when you have a little help with the bins and pick-up etc.

Heather said...

Good for you Hayley. I wrote to my state rep and got a form email back. Uhhh. I'm glad you had a better experience!!!

Mom said...

We recycle paper, plastic and glass in Chicago. It is well worth the extra expense. I just hope it does not go in the same landfill as the other garbage.

Jori said...

Good for you Hayley! I love it when people speak up. It's just like all of the dirty bill boards down here. From what I understand they are mostly illegal to put up. They said they only come down if people complain, and nobody ever complains. Duh! I think there are lots of things that could be changed if only people will speak up. So you are the best!

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

you rock! good for you. so hayley, i've had like a sinus infection or terrible allergies or something for like 4 days. so i feel like i'm drowning in my own snot. and guess what? it totally snarked in church!!! i couldn't help myself, i was about to drown. but then i was like, hayley is totally going to break up with me.

Miss Jones said...

haha. no i'll forgive you this once, cause of that software post yesterday. now we're even though :)

Mel said...

Way to go Hayley! So proud! We recycle our soda cans we drink, and let me tell you we go through an outrageous amount.

Kristi said...

That's awesome! Good for you, girl. All it takes is a little action and things can change for the better.