6.28.2007

more dr pepper and reese's

tomorrow is the last day of school. starting yesterday, i'm being bombarded with "teacher presents." i'm feeling this incredible split feeling of emotions. i'm ready for a break. i'm ready to start teaching "real curriculum" again. after the end of year tests, i spend the rest of the year trying to get them ready for 3rd grade. but, beyond teaching multiplication, i don't love that stuff. i want the routine back. i want to try my new little projects i've been working on for the last few months. i (mostly) love this group of kids. the low ones have come A LONG WAY, the funny ones still highly entertain me. (one of my students has this laugh that i'm really going to miss!) i wish i could teach 2nd grade to these kids again. i sometimes don't love the "first graders" at the beginning of the year. they've grown up a lot throughout the year. its ok... they've all promised to come back and visit me often. (although usually the ones that come back and visit the most are the ones i don't want to... sad)another thoughty thought that i've been thinking about a lot lately. friendships. this school changed a lot this year, with a new principal. lots of people left, hence lots of new people came. i've developed a friend in ranae. i can't remember what it was like before we knew each other. we're "kindred spirits" and i'm so glad she's here. she's the main est reason that i didn't decide to move schools about halfway through the year. now, i'm pretty sure that neither of us would move. and then today at lunch, one of my friends that left our school this year but is out on medical leave right now, stopped by. it was so good to see her. both of these ladies have had extremely hard years, including death - one of a husband, one of a son. i hope its not self-righteous of me to say that i feel like i've played a large part in helping them both get through their ordeals. i don't think its wrong to feel good knowing that you've helped someone get through something difficult. if it is, i'm sorry. i'm thankful for my friends, especially because since i'm single, i don't have my very own family. i feel like i've got my parents. and my sisters, but they all have their own family too... friends become family & i'm thankful for my whole family. and i'm ultra thankful i have the cutest nieces and nephews in the world!!!

7 comments:

Holly O'Keefe said...

I kept waiting for the Anne of Green Gables reference. Then I realized it was the friends. I'm slow. I'm glad you have friends.

Jori said...

I love the idea of "kindred spirits" I know I definitely have some in my life. It sounds like you have good friends and are a good friend.

PS-I LOVE Anne of Green Gables.

Heather said...

I love, love,love Anne of Green Gables. And yes of course you helped those women out!!

Shelley said...

It's not wrong or self-righteous to feel happy when you're in the service of your fellow man (or woman). You've done a good thing by helping them through their times of trouble. That's what its all about (not the hokey pokey Natalie... sorry!)

"...As ye are desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people, and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be light;
Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life—" (Mosiah 18:8-9)

Just wow. :) You're doing good Hayley.

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

tell us more about your teacher presents. what do you love/hate? also, those ladies are lucky to have had you to help them thru their tough times. not to be a cheeseball, but that's our job - to administer whatever comfort we can, and whatever comfort the Lord would if he were physically here and could do it. "instruments in the hand of God". truly.

Miss Jones said...

honestly, natalie, when it comes to bringing comfort, i think i'm more of a deer staring at the headlights. but - where i shine is the comic relief section, but i know i helped one of these friends specificially with that... anyway

Kristi said...

Your friends are veyr lucky to have you, Hayley! What a blessing you can be to others. I'm sure your a wonderful teacher, too, for loving your kids so much! Can you teach my kids when they're in school? :)