6.04.2007

i'm a real person

so... I'm sitting here eating my mac and cheese lunch and I'm realizing that even though i eat like a child, I'm an adult. i have been for 10 years now, but on occasion, it still catches me by surprise. here are some of the triggers for me to realize this today: i go back to work this week, and am partially dreading it, but mostly ready - excited to be back in my classroom. i had a list of errands to run this morning & i actually got them all done. i needed to return/pickup holds at the library. i needed to mail some Mary Kay orders to my mom & her friends (my mom is my best Mary Kay selling point, thanks momma!) at the post office. then i had a few items at the grocer that i needed for my book club food for this evening. got those things & stuck to my list. not even a candy bar treat! came home, worked some more on my music organization (every once in a while, i love updating my iPod with new favorites) and burned a Hawaiian CD for a friend in my book club. last month, when we read Molokai, I hosted & really went all out, if you remember the Hawaiian haystacks. I didn't stop there, I had my Hawaiian decorations & music going. One lady loved the music, so I promised her I'd make her a CD. I've had a hay day picking out which music was deemed worthy to be on her CD. now, i just finished the whole package of mac & cheese, because I'm still a pig. just arm wiped away my milk mustache & am on to my next project - the digiscraping that i haven't gotten around to yet. typical - last true day of my vacation, I'm getting things started. oh, and tonight for my book club, I'm making the southwestern ranch salad from Kraft foods... mhmmmm... during my errands, i just so happened to catch my dad at lunch with an old friend of his & mine, too, i suppose. when i was in Chicago, Mick was one of my youth leaders & i always got along great with him. i used to babysit for him, now his son's about to leave on a mission. it is amazing to me how quickly i can revert back to things that i haven't thought about for a good 10 years, and feel like a kid again. i like that my dad is friends with him. i love my dad, he's such a good man. Mick has always been a whippersnapper. I think one of the reasons why I always liked him is cause he was a friend of my dad's. but i love that he knows what is pretty much going on in my life & offered to break some legs for me. haha... Mick is one of the few men i would dare send after a Polynesian ;)

8 comments:

Kristin said...

Mick's son is old enough to go on a mission?!??!! Where is he going?

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

i haven't even read this yet...but...get your biscuit on over to 100percentcottam dot com for some new posts. boss hogg.

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

this is why i'm go bummed that you're not a swapper. think of the mix cd you could have made. i think i'm going to make heather a mix cd, since she like death cab for cuties so well! :) she might like some of my other faves, then. sounds like a productive morning. mine was, too. but now i've hit the blogging wall. time to make some dinner menus for the week, get a grocery list together and whip up some dinner. chris is back in town, so no more grilled cheese every night! :)

Heather said...

How did your book club discussion go? I liked that book, I really like that book I'm reading now Water for Elephants. Good read. I have been listening to Death Cab for Cutie for years...and probably always have called them Cuties!!! That's a Scott too! I get it coming and going.

Jori said...

I wish I could come to your book club. It sounds really fun. I love that salad it so good!

Shelley said...

1) Yes, send Mick (is his last name Dundee? ;-) ) after that dirty polynesian.
2) I too can eat a whole box of mac & cheese (oh my lanta, I almost called it kraft dinner! :-o I blame Canada).
3) I wish I was there at your book club both this month AND last month! It sounds so fun! (AND Yummy!) :-D

Kristi said...

That's cool that you can be close to a leader and keep as a friend. I feel the same way--when I hear someone is 21 or 22, I think, "Oh, my age." Oh no, sister. Not by a long shot. How was Book Club?

Miss Jones said...

book club was great. i love these ladies, we've been a group for six years now. and i love the food. always the best meal of the month!