6.08.2007

I Like Myself!


Have you guys seen this book? Its adorable. I have a little girl who suffers from extremely low self esteem. She's (sorry to say it) dumb as bricks, and only cares about how she looks. I know this sounds terrible, coming from her teacher, but its true. Her parents only encourage this behavior. She's progressed a lot this year, but only because I pulled the mom aside & showed her that soon, maybe not in second grade, but it'll happen eventually, she'll stand out because of how far behind she is. Things needed to start being done at home. I think she's adorable too, but sadly, I've referred to her as a "hooker in training" cause she is not growing up in an environment that will encourage anything but beauty. and the sad thing is, she's cute, but she's not a show stopper. Finally, when I pointed out to the mom that she wouldn't get by on looks in my classroom, things started happening. She's now reading on a first grade level, where at the beginning of the year, she wouldn't even try. I've tried so hard, throughout the year to point out inner beauty & intelligence. I read this book this morning, to my students, thinking "this will help her." i was impressed that she sat & actually listened & paid attention. Its a cute book... Check it out. Girls, especially, need to hear the cute little message!

6 comments:

Mel said...

I haven't read this one. Looks cute though? Is this the Alecia or whoever it is that I get next year?

Heather said...

I love that author! Cute Cute!

Chris * Natalie * Maya * Mason said...

ooh, that looks ilke a good one. i think all girls need this message. i want to make sure i send my girl out into the world with tons of self esteem, so that she doesn't get squashed out there!

Jori said...

I love book picks!! I am going to go and get this tomorrow. You are the best! Will you please move to Vegas and be Kaitlin's teacher?Then you would only be an hour and a half from Holly.

Kristi said...

Thanks for the book recommendation! Girls really need self confidence boosters. That's good that your sending your kids the right message, too!

Jan said...

I LOVE teachers like you! I feel so strongly about the children I am responsible for and I love seeing someone who feels the same way I do and really has an influence.